Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen keeps flashing iOS security alert to call a 1-800 num I'm sure is a scam but I can't get it off my iPad?

I Think it's some scam but it has a page on safari I can't remove

iPad, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 7, 2014 12:03 PM

31 replies

Jan 26, 2015 7:50 PM in response to abelarbi

Saw this on the appleclub site. I think it works if you're running Safari.

If you encounter a pop-up like this, you should be able to close Safari by simply pressing the home button. If not, try double pressing the home button, and hold your finger on the Safari icon until it starts to jiggle, then tap the minus sign. This won't delete Safari, just force it to close. If that still does not work, hold the power button until you see "slide to power off" on the screen. Instead of powering off, release the power button and then hold the home button for around 5-6 seconds until you are returned to the home screen.

Once you have closed Safari, go to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data. In iOS 7 and earlier, the menu will read "Clear Cookies and Data." Clear History is a separate option, but you should not need to use that unless clearing the data did not solve your problem.

Mar 19, 2015 2:51 PM in response to jeichelb

Thank you, jeichelb! I followed your instructions. What finally worked was holding "the POWER button until you see "slide to power off... " and finishing up with clearing History as well as the Cookies.

Btw, when I'd called the 1800 number, they said that my going to a certain website was what had caused Safari to crash. After asking for the serial number for my ipad, the guy said that my "Telephoning Technical Support Warranty" had expired and that he could help me over the phone and be done in just 15 minutes. It would cost $59.99... I told him I'll check and get back to him. I'm so glad that I decided to go online and do some research first. Can't imagine how many people would have forked out for this "technical support"!

Apr 23, 2015 8:14 AM in response to Shawnn pierce

To anyone else who stumbles upon this highly annoying site and doesn't want to clear their Safari data, reboot your phone as described and then one booted and unlocked, turn airplane mode on.

When you now open Safari, the page will fail to load and you'll be able to close the tab or type a new URL and let it fail to load then turn Airplabe Mode off!

Hope this helps someone and Apple takes the site down through the appropriate means soon!

May 7, 2015 5:31 AM in response to Shawnn pierce

You get a warning on your iPad stating that IOS has crashed and to call a 1-877 # immediately. You can not remove it from Chrome or Safari.

This is a scam to get your credit card # to pay to have your IOS "restored". Do not call the 1 877 # and do not try to access the URL www://IOS-Support

Quick fix - go to the sign on screen and delete the affected app, (Chrome or Safari) then reload it from the app store.

In the 5 years that I have had iPads this is the first time that I have had an invasive virus that "took over" and blocked my screen in such a way that I could not send diagnostic data to Apple Support.

Jul 3, 2015 4:59 PM in response to jeichelb

THANKYOU!!!!! For nearly two weeks this had screwed up my ability to use safari. Since I bought the ipad off of craigslist, I couldnt be sure what its status was, hence why i couldnt take it to the apple store. These instructions were totally spot on and saved my ***! Again, many thanks.

ps.) why hasnt some internet security company (or for that matter, Apple) put an end to this site?!

Screen keeps flashing iOS security alert to call a 1-800 num I'm sure is a scam but I can't get it off my iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.