Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I to move my cursor backwards on my iphone?

I do not want to use the magnifying glass because the text I am writing is out of view of the text window. I need to go to the beginning of the text, but I am limited to only what I can see in the text box. How do I go back further? If I had arrow keys, there would be no issue. As it stands now, I must delete all the text from the vary far left of the text box to the point I need to position my cursor, then re-enter all the text I deleted. This is a very inefficient and cumbersome move.

Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 7, 2014 5:07 PM

12 replies

Oct 24, 2017 12:00 AM in response to wuddog

Hey wuddog,

There is a way to get to the beginning of the text without deletion (if the text exceeds the viewable portion of the text field or box)....

All you have to do is......long press any letter on the keyboard (at this time all the keys on your keyboard will turn grey).....then without letting go move the cursor to the front of the text box....Try this...it worked for me...

Oct 24, 2017 6:11 AM in response to Kittyroo

Kittyroo wrote:

Hey wuddog,

There is a way to get to the beginning of the text without deletion (if the text exceeds the viewable portion of the text field or box)....

All you have to do is......long press any letter on the keyboard (at this time all the keys on your keyboard will turn grey).....then without letting go move the cursor to the front of the text box....Try this...it worked for me...

That was not an option three years ago when the person to whom you're replying posted.

But it's still pretty cool now.

Nov 7, 2014 6:16 PM in response to wuddog

Yup, sometimes it is just a pain to edit text on iOS.

The only way I have found to get around it is to use an external bluetooth keyboard (the arrow keys work) or to copy and paste into another app to clean up the text where it can be inserted a few line down.

Meg St._Clair, Safari URL's (& other browsers) are one of the worst things to try to select and edit.

There may be a third party keyboard for iOS 8 that does it by now, the only one I have seen that comes close is this…

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/10/07/ikeywi-brings-awesome-jailbreak-keyboard -features-to-ios-8-video/

Nov 7, 2014 8:01 PM in response to Drew Reece

Drew Reece wrote:

Meg St._Clair, Safari URL's (& other browsers) are one of the worst things to try to select and edit.

I think it's more practice than anything else. It's annoying at the beginning but once you do it a few (hundred 😉) times, it's really not that hard. I can't say I think much about it any more. Even when I use a BT keyboard, I generally position the insertion point for editing with my finger. It's just faster.

Nov 10, 2014 1:44 PM in response to bobseufert

Hi. Just an FYI, this isn't an issue on my ipad. It's a problem with my iphone. What you've suggested does indeed work on an ipad. I have been dong that since i got the ipad. That's why i find it so confusing as to why I can't do the same on my iphone. What you've described and what I have known to be true for the ipad, doesn't work for the iphone apparently.

Jul 3, 2015 2:26 PM in response to wuddog

Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about, and there does appear to be a bug. On my 4S, there was never a problem moving the magnifying glass back to the beginning when inside the Google search box. Now, you just slide it to the beginning of what's showing in the text box and it stops. There's no way to move it further. This is very annoying and another in the long list of bugs in iOS 8.XX.

For reference, this device is iPhone 6 w/ iOS 8.1.

Jul 4, 2015 9:29 AM in response to radiolarian

radiolarian wrote:

Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about, and there does appear to be a bug. On my 4S, there was never a problem moving the magnifying glass back to the beginning when inside the Google search box. Now, you just slide it to the beginning of what's showing in the text box and it stops. There's no way to move it further. This is very annoying and another in the long list of bugs in iOS 8.XX.

For reference, this device is iPhone 6 w/ iOS 8.1.

What text field are you seeing it? In the URL bar to or the search field on the page? Sometimes it seems to be the fault of the text field styling.

I don't seem to have trouble with this on iOS 8.3 on an iPhone 5 perhaps you want to update to 8.4? If it seems like a bug submit it to Apple…

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Or try a genius at an Applestore if you want to have it checked out.

How do I to move my cursor backwards on my iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.