Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes does not move files to the correct folder

I have iTunes 12.0.1.26 under Windows 8.1 and have the following problem:

When I import a Movie or TV show they are created in the Home Videos folder or the root of the TV Shows folder. When I modify them to make them movies or TV shows they remain in the folders Home Videos and TV Shows.

iTunes only creates the folders (name of TV Shows or Movie) for the files but does not moved them into those folders.

When I look they stay in the Home Videos folder or the root folder for TV shows.

I must move them into the folders created by iTunes manually.

Have other had the same issue? Has anyone resolved this problem?

Posted on Nov 7, 2014 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2014 9:00 AM

Same iTunes version and Windows OS here, and yes, all of the TV shows and movies added remain in the "Home Videos" folder after categorization/metadata changes.

The same version of iTunes running on my MBP on Yosemite doesn't have this problem...looks to be specific to the Windows version of iTunes.

28 replies

Nov 9, 2014 4:11 PM in response to PleasantSpectrum

Thanks for the information I guess its a problem only in Windows.

I also found another strange thing:

All my TV Show files show a Release Date of 6/5/1905 even those I had for years. It seems that when my library was updated to my current version it changed all the release date. I also checked my movies, but they are good.

I hope that Apple support looks at some of these post and try to correct the issue.

Nov 10, 2014 8:47 AM in response to GessieM

The sad part about this issue, is that the vast majority of people likely don't care (or even know how to look at) how the files are organized on the OS filesystem, unless they are OCD types like us, or have a vested interest in how the files and folders are laid out.

For me, my Windows instance of iTunes solely exists as a temporary repository for streaming content to our ATV...once we're done watching the stuff it gets deleted. Still, I'm bugged that the files don't get moved around properly, and I'm compelled to correct them manually...despite it not mattering at all as far as functionality goes. 😢

Nov 10, 2014 11:16 AM in response to GessieM

Unless you are an Apple developer, the only way I know is to submit feedback via https://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Here's the feedback I just submitted:

Subject: Library organization bug in iTunes 12.0.1.26 for Windows x64

I Have Feedback About: Software or Hardware Compatibility

Comments:

Hi,

I have my iTunes library organized into subfolders (Music, Movies, TV Shows, and so on). When I add new video media to iTunes, either by "drag and drop," or placing a file into the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder, the new media file is placed in the "Home Videos" folder. Then, after changing the metadata using the "Get Info" mechanism, the metadata is updated; however, the file is not moved out of the "Home Videos" folder. A new folder is created properly under "Movies" or "TV Shows" (depending on the type), yet iTunes isn't taking the final step of moving the file into that folder.

I've validated this behavior on two different Windows systems.

iTunes 12.0.1.26 running on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) moves the files properly, so this issue looks to be specific to the Windows version.

Feb 2, 2015 7:32 AM in response to GessieM

The issue persists in iTunes 12.1.0.71 on Windows. I've noticed that you can manually correct the problem by clicking:

File --> Library --> Organize Library...

and then checking Reorganize files in the folder "iTunes Media" which will tidy things up. That option is often greyed out, but a restart of iTunes will make it available again.

I wish Apple would fix this, although I doubt it is very high on the priority list.

Feb 2, 2015 8:08 AM in response to PleasantSpectrum

Hmm, the Reorganize files... action should be a one time hit. It says that iTunes should be in the iTunes 9 and later layout that puts music items within a music subfolder in the media folder, whereas previously the artist folders were mixed in with Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts etc. iTunes remembers the current layout for the media folder via a hidden preference file stored in the media folder called .iTunes Preferences.plist. I wonder if some sort of permissions problem is preventing iTunes from updating that file on your system.

The workaround that should work for everyone is to turn Keep organized off, and then back on again.

tt2

Feb 9, 2015 12:40 PM in response to Peter Deep1

Hmm, just tested it here and switching from TV Shows to Home Video didn't move the file, turning Keep Organized off and then back on again did.

Reasons why it might not could be that the media folder setting doesn't include the current location of the file, or some kind of permissions problem. See Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows to eliminate that one.

tt2

Feb 9, 2015 1:04 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the suggestion, but, as I said, it did not work for me. The paths to the files (all in the Home Video folder) are correct in the info box "file" tab in iTunes and if I right-click to open the file in Windows Explorer, it does so. But iTunes has them all in the TV shows section. I'm tempted to move them manually but afraid of losing all the meta information, which took hours to input. As for security permissions, the instructions on that web page don't seem to apply. I am using Windows 8.1 (buying a new Mac next week YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but there is no "security" tab in the properties box. The only tabs are General, Sharing, and Customize.

iTunes does not move files to the correct folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.