Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How loud are the fans?

I have a new mbp. I noticed it gets quite hot on that strip above the number keys, and also to the left of the keyboard. so i figured i would update the firmware. apparantly it is already up to date. but the thing is, i never notice fans comming on. are they pretty quiet, or should i really be able to tell when they are on? i havent listened super carefully, but i also have never noticed any noise.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Sep 28, 2006 6:23 AM

16 replies

Sep 28, 2006 10:48 PM in response to Timotheus D

The fans are very quiet and variable in speed depending on your usage. The pictures I have seen show that they look like Vornado fans which are a different design made to move air at lower speeds.

If you really want to hear them run the Apple Hardware Test. The fans will speed up to warp speed. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303081

Sep 29, 2006 6:55 AM in response to Kunio

The bar above the keys is supposed to get hot, and when you push your system that area gets the hotest. The speaker grills also get warm, this is all normal.

The MBp relies on passive cooling to keep itself cool, so the fans dont go on much unless its really hot. This system of cooling saves battery life. That top bar on your MBP gets hot because thats where all the heat escapes from the machine. There are conductor pipes under that bar which transfer all the heat out the back.

If you look behind your MBP you'll se vents where the hot air escapes.

Nov 28, 2006 2:56 PM in response to Matt Turek

hi everyone..

just wanted to comment on the fan noise. I have the MBP 15" 2.33 and found that its very quiet when doing internet surfing and other less processor intensive activities. I have found that firing up any game on either OSX or in bootcamp on winxp, will cause the fans to start getting quite loud. I believe at one point, i was seeing about 6000 rpms as it was loud. The laptop was on a flat desk and i was very careful during the time not to rest my hand on the laptop to not influence any additional heating. By placing a small book under the laptop, i was able to get the fans to not run continuously.. It was more variable. I went down to my local frys and found this targus laptop cooler $15 which did the same thing as the book but had anti slip rubber pads on the bottom so it wasnt slipping. This seemed to help, but i still hear the fans quite loud. The game in OSX was world of warcraft, running at the 1400x900 with most of the effects turned up, 24bit/1x AA.. Some of the sliders were up to high, but alot were left on medium.

Games that i tried on bootcamp/winxp was guild wars, Age of empires 3, company of heroes, titan quest.. all pretty much caused the fans to run fairly high rpms.

I guess i will get used to hearing the louder fans.. As soon as i stop playing the games, the laptop fans become silent, so i know its just doing its job.

I have a ibm t43P which does have the fans on when playing games, but its not as loud. My wife was sitting about 4 feet away, and i have a desktop with 8 fans which runs quite loud even when its suppose to be in one of those antec silent cases, and she commented that on the MBP's fans.

Just thought i would provide some feedback here.. its not a complaint and i'm really happy with the laptop. I just wanted to see if any of you had any similar experiences with games.. I know i have read a bunch of messages with people playing games on the MBP and wanted to know if they had fans running pretty much continuously and is loud enough to know that you need to turn the sound up a bit..

thanks..
-scott

Nov 28, 2006 9:29 PM in response to Matt Turek

Well, on the 17" MBP C1D the fans are not loud, per se. But they are most certainly noticeable. And, in fact, there are several harmonics at various rpms that I find to be annoying in a quiet room.

As a test, I have pegged both cores to 100%, and noted that if I run the fans at 4000rpm, the temp stabilizes at a fairly comfortable level (60C). And again, 4000rpm, with these fans, is not all that loud.

As a comparison, the 17MBP fans are MUCH quieter and less intrusive than the 17" G4 powerbook which has the groaning fans.

17 Macbook Pro Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Nov 29, 2006 1:21 PM in response to Matt Turek

I bought a brand new 17" on Sunday and it was quiet as a mouse. Didn't notice the fans at all. I took that one back because they supplied me with a glossy when I asked for matte. I got the new one and the first thing I noticed was that the fans run louder. Particularly the left side. The right side has a slight whir to it. That along with the non functioning bluetooth means I am getting yet another replacement. Doh!

Nov 29, 2006 5:50 PM in response to Matt Turek

yes the mbp gets hot when you push it and even when i play games with the volume as low as it goes, i only hear the fans maybe for 2 minutes after the game is shut off and then i cant hear them anymore. i have no problems with the hot parts as my body is naturally somewhat cold...i can even play call of duty 2 maxed out graphically on my lap with shorts on for hours in which the laptop is 75 C and it doesnt bug me. and again the only times i hear the fans is for 30 sec to 2 minutes after the game is closed and if i put my head within 6 inches of the fan when pushing it. because of this i dont understand why the fans and heat bother so many people, you all need your heads checked if you find it loud. maybe i the only one with a perfect macbook pro...oh well, see you all later.

Dec 27, 2006 3:16 AM in response to rcx_6000

Just had the C2D MBP for less than a week.

Whoa! Here I am 15 minutes into HL2 gaming and the fans come on full blast. I didn't even notice it until I stopped to take a breather from the game and heard this loud whooshing sound.

Thought it was the CoolerMaster NotePal cooler freaking out, but it wasn't!

How loud are the fans?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.