Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The vCard of Dorian Gray

This is just bizarre.

Yesterday, I had occasion to edit a Contacts card independently on both my iPhone and my Mac. On my iPhone, I corrected a typo in the notes field. On my Mac, I added new text to the notes field. At the end of the workday, I synced, using a USB cable and iTunes. (I don't use cloud services -- they are all turned off on both devices.)

I wasn't surprised to see iTunes say there was a sync conflict and ask which version I wanted to keep. I kept the version with the added text, figuring I would just fix the typo again afterward. So far, so good.

Now I go to fix the typo in the note. As soon as I click anywhere else -- the Edit button, or the person name field, or choose another card -- my change reverts itself! It's like a bad hacker movie. I change the typo, click elsewhere, and the typo reappears. I add new text to the note, click anywhere else, and the new text disappears. It's like trying to edit a gravestone.

So instead, I tried fixing the typo on the iPhone. It held. As soon as I synced back up with iTunes, the typo came back on the iPhone.

I've determined that this behavior is not true of any other card (at least not any I have yet found) -- just this one. I have changed others with no ill effects.

I'm thinking that the behavior is consistent with Contacts keeping a "time of last change" for every syncable item, and that the "time of last change" for the current version of that card somehow got set to some time in the future, such that any change I make now is considered "older" than the current version.

Has anybody else seen this behavior before? Does anybody know what to do about it?

It's no big deal -- I assume I can just delete the whole darn card, sync, then type it in again by hand. But I'm curious.

Posted on Nov 7, 2014 5:25 PM

There are no replies.

The vCard of Dorian Gray

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.