Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I need to provide Apple with a credit card to change locations in the app store to download a FREE (yes, FREE) app?

Is all this part of Apple's collective desire to **** off the consumer and drive them off? If so then its working for me.

Posted on Nov 7, 2014 11:59 PM

1 reply

Nov 8, 2014 2:29 AM in response to gih9

It's a way of proving that you are able to purchase content from that country's store i.e. that you have a valid billing address in it

From Why can’t I select None when I edit my Apple ID payment information? - Apple Support :

If you changed your country or region

When you change the country or region of an existing Apple ID, you must provide a payment method and update your billing options. If you want to remove your payment method after you change the country or region, you can change your payment information to None.

Why do I need to provide Apple with a credit card to change locations in the app store to download a FREE (yes, FREE) app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.