You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Safari Menu bar disappeared. When I select "View" in the menu bar, the "Always Show Toolbar" is checked, but is ghosted out. How do I get my menu bar back?

My Safari Menu bar disappeared. If I place my cursor close to the top of the screen, the menu bar appears. When I select "View" in the Safari menu bar, the "Always Show Toolbar" is checked (has a check mark to the left), but is ghosted out. How do I get my menu bar back? Frustrated!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Safari problems with menu bar

Posted on Nov 7, 2014 10:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2014 4:53 AM

Is Safari in FullScreen mode?

In FullScreen mode, Safari menu bar and the Dock are hidden.

When you move the mouse pointer to the top edge of the desktop menu bar will drop down.

That is normal.

If Safari Toolbar is missing, click "View" menu in the Safari menu bar and select "Show Toolbar".

Best.

4 replies

Nov 8, 2014 11:21 AM in response to Hikaru Skye

Actually I appreciated the response I rec'd from Dominic23 but it didn't solve the problem. How do I get OUT of "Full Screen Mode" so that my menu bar is always there? As I stated in my first post, when I select "View", from the Safari menu bar, there is a check mark to the left of "Always Show Toolbar", but it is greyed out (ghosted). Grateful for anyone with the answer. Thanks

Nov 8, 2014 11:38 AM in response to Hikaru Skye

To get out of FullScreen mode, move the mouse pointer to the top of the desktop/screen and when toolbar is visible click the green button again.

You can also esc key on the keyboard.

In Safari 8, green traffic line button serves as the FullScreen button.

The double arrow FullScreen icon is embedded in the green button.

User uploaded file

To make the green button work as the familiar Maximize button, hold the option key down and click the green button.

Show Toolbar feature is not available when the window is in FullScreen mode at present.

That is why it is grayed out.

Jun 11, 2015 12:25 PM in response to Hikaru Skye

Hi Hikaru

Shutdown all instances of Safari browsers you may have open.

Right click on the "Finder" icon in the "Dock".

Click on "New Finder Window".

In the Finder window select "Applications".

In the right and pane right click on the "Safari" app.

From the menu select "Show View Options".

A window titled "Applications" will open.

At the top of the Options uncheck the 2 check boxes "Always open in Continuous Flow mode".

Close the "Applications" window.

Now open Safari and the Safari File Menu/Title bar at the top of the screen should show again when you set focus on the Safari browser and you now have access to the "View" menu again.

I hope this was the solution to your problem.

I tried everything else and none of them worked.

I also have no idea how Safari gets set into Continuous Flow mode, but it is a pain when it does.

Cheers, John

My Safari Menu bar disappeared. When I select "View" in the menu bar, the "Always Show Toolbar" is checked, but is ghosted out. How do I get my menu bar back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.