Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem with viewing wmv files

Sorry for posting it here, but I could not find a more suitable forum.

An open-minded friend just got converted, but now he is having problems viewing some videos for his classes, which are in Windows media format and they work on PCs only.

He can listen to the sound but cannot see the videos. I have tried Windoes media player for mac, VLC, MPlayer, Quicktime with Flip4mac, nothing helped. I found that they were made using the Windows Media Video 9 Screen (FourCC: MSS2) codec, and Microsoft does not support this codec on their mac version pf WMP. (I think the teachers use this codec so that they can get the screen capture video)

Here is the VLC error message: main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `MSS2'. VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

Is there a decoder for this? Is there any way to convert this file to mpeg or mov or DVD format on a mac? I don't have a PC, but my last option would be to try some software on a PC which would convert them to mpeg or something so that he can view the lectures on his MacBook. Do you know of some freeware which would do this?

Also, is there a way to capture a video from a PC onto a mac. I dont have the pro softwares like Final cut pro etc, I do have QT pro. Can iMovie do this? How do I connect a PC to a mac to capture videos?

Please email me at alpesh1310@yahoo.com if you would like to have a sample file.

Regards,
Alpesh

MacBook Pro, iMac G4 Mac OS X (10.4.7)

MacBook Pro, iMac G4 Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Sep 28, 2006 7:03 AM

3 replies

Sep 28, 2006 2:27 PM in response to Alpesh Shukla

Is there any way to convert this file to mpeg or mov or DVD format on a mac?

VLC is not the best application for WMV, especially not for Windows Media 9. Use VPC and re-encode the video and bring it back to your Mac.

is there a way to capture a video from a PC onto a mac. I dont have the pro softwares like Final cut pro etc, I do have QT pro.

I don't quite understand what you mean.

problem with viewing wmv files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.