Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac RAM Upgrade (Does dual channel make a difference)

I currently have two 2GB chips and one 4GB chip. I was told since my iMac supports dual channel RAM I am not seeing the performance I should. I was told to either replace the 4GB with two 2GB or get another 4GB to complete the dual channel. Is there any merit to this suggestion? Will I see a good performance jump if I add another 4GB chip?

thanks!

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), 27'

Posted on Nov 8, 2014 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2014 8:15 AM

Performance is not dictated by RAM alone, its a combination of many items. iMacs work best with matched pairs of RAM, I would recommend adding an additional 4GB DIMM however that is up to you. If you feel the computer is not using RAM well then use Activity Monitor to manage the RAM use. I would start by learning how to use AM in Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2014 8:15 AM in response to ltaroli

Performance is not dictated by RAM alone, its a combination of many items. iMacs work best with matched pairs of RAM, I would recommend adding an additional 4GB DIMM however that is up to you. If you feel the computer is not using RAM well then use Activity Monitor to manage the RAM use. I would start by learning how to use AM in Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used

iMac RAM Upgrade (Does dual channel make a difference)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.