Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group emails not forwarded to members

Since upgrading to Yosemite and Server 4 I am no longer receiving any emails sent to my groups, which have emails configured. The following are screenshots of the configuration (I believe it is configured correctly, as it was updated from Server 3):

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I do believe emails are getting delivered, as I am not getting any bounce errors when sending from gmail or iCloud to these two addresses. However, I am not getting any notifications for the two members of this group.

Any thoughts what might be going on here or how I might troubleshoot this?

Posted on Nov 8, 2014 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2014 3:58 AM

I have the same problem - it did work for a few hours but doesn't any more. If you look in the logs - the List Server log in the mail you will see the the List Server Mgr keeps quitting - at least that's what I see.

52 replies

Nov 9, 2014 7:30 AM in response to dpritchardASC

@dpritchardASC Thanks for pointing me to those logs. I see further clues here:

Nov 9 07:14:06 server.genealabs.com list_server_agent[46126] <Error>: no recipients for: help

Nov 9 07:14:06 server.genealabs.com list_server_agent[46126] <Error>: no recipients for message-id=1415421693.452392.E3970C719B9C5891.msg, will retry in: 300.000000 seconds

This tells me the List Server is running and keeps trying, but is not seeing the group members as recipients. This would indicate a configuration disconnect to what list serve expects to see, and how the configuration files are written. Any thoughts on how one might continue debugging that aspect?

Also, what would be the best way to get all the backed up message copied over to a users inbox until this is sorted out?

Nov 11, 2014 8:55 AM in response to stumbingalong

I am having the same error. An enterprise engineer was working with me over the phone on Sunday for almost 3 hours. I then sent them a complete data dump of my system (log files, and whatever else they collected) to be further analyzed. I am currently waiting to hear back from them, hopefully with good news. 🙂

Nov 30, 2014 4:56 PM in response to Bondchester

I haven't heard back from them, despite calling them back. I did speak with another tech a week or so ago, but he wasn't able to figure anything out either. Turns out the Enterprise Support team only helps troubleshoot the GUI, and they aren't allowed to do anything intrusive on the command line (apparently). However, I have been able to figure out that the mail queue is being help up by corrupt emails. I'm not sure what triggers this, but certain emails cause listserver to crash and restart. Those emails never get processed, and thus cause an endless loop of listserver restarting and pausing for 30 seconds until next restart, instead of processing. To get around this, I remove the oldest emails one by one until the queue is unclogged again.

These are the steps I take:

1. Open terminal, and cd into the listserver directory where the inbound list queues are:
    cd /Library/Server/Mail/Data/listserver/messages/inbound/
  2. Show a listing of the folders in the directory (the GUIDS for each group):
    ls -la
  3. Check the first number in front of the username of the folder in the output for the number of items contained within that directory. If the number is greater than 3, there are items stuck. Go into that directory now (you can type "cd " then the first 3 characters, then TAB to autocomplete), for example:
    cd 1FDBZ1DB-9AAD-4A45-BCC7-92D87C5A1D19
  4. Let's enter super user mode:
    sudo su
  5. Now list out all the messages, the first one will be the oldest:
    ls -la
  6. Let's create a new folder on the Desktop to temporarily store these "bad" messages:
    mkdir /Users/serveradmin/Desktop/badmails
  7. Then lets move the first email to that folder, for example:
    mv 1416492706.772710.C6A2EEF49ED40002.msg /Users/serveradmin/Desktop/badmails/
  8. Now lets restart listserver and see if it flushes out the queue:
    killall list_server_mgr
  9. Emails should now start flooding your inbox. If this is not the case, repeat steps 5 through 8 until successful.
  10. Exit super user mode by typing:
    exit
  11. And close the terminal window.

Until they fix it, it appears we may be forced to check our group emails every so often to perform this tedious task. Let me know how it works for you.

~Mike

Dec 1, 2014 10:29 AM in response to StevePW

I have put together a little script that will automatically keep the queues cleared:

on idle
  set currentTime to current date
  -- execute once per day after midnight no matter what
  if the time of currentTime is greater than 0 and the time of currentTime is less than 3600 then
  do shell script "shopt -s nullglob
mkdir /Users/<admin username here>/Desktop/badmails
for dir in *
do
  cd $dir
  for file in *
  do
  echo \"mv $file /Users/<admin username here>/Desktop/badmails/\"
  break
  done
  cd ..
done
killall list_server_mgr" password "<admin password here>" with administrator priveleges
  end if
  -- execute once an hour if more than 5 messages are piling up in a given queue
for dir in *
do
  if [$(ls | ec -l) -gt 5]; then
  cd $dir
  for file in *
  do
  echo \"mv $file /Users/<admin username here>/Desktop/badmails/\"
  break
  done
  cd ..
  fi
done
killall list_server_mgr" password "<admin password here>" with administrator privileges
  -- run again in an hour
  return 3600
end idle

To implement this script:

1. Open Script Editor.
  2. Copy/paste the script above.
  3. Replace <admin username here> with your server admin username (keep it in quotes, but not in brackets).
  4. Replace <admin password here> with you server admin password (keep it in quotes, but not in brackets).
  5. Save as "Application" file format, and check "Stay open after run handler" to your Desktop (or preferred location).
  6. Double-click to the icon on the Desktop (or where you saved it to) to run it, it will run continuously, and check the queues once an hour.

Bad emails will be saved to your desktop in a folder called "badmails". I opted to place the script and the folder on the desktop, as it is hopefully temporary only.

Please let me know how it goes for you.

Dec 1, 2014 10:56 AM in response to Miggl

Scratch the above code ... a pain to update as the edit link expires after 15 minutes.

Here is the corrected version of the script:

on idle  
  set currentTime to current date  
  -- execute once per day after midnight no matter what  
  if the time of currentTime is greater than 0 and the time of currentTime is less than 3600 then  
for dir in *  
do  
  cd $dir  
  for file in *  
  do  
  mv $file /Users/<admin username here>/Desktop/badmails/
  break  
  done  
  cd ..  
done  
killall list_server_mgr" password "<admin password here>" with administrator priveleges  
  end if  
  -- execute once an hour if more than 5 messages are piling up in a given queue  
for dir in *  
do  
  cd $dir 
  if [$(ls | ec -l) -gt 5]; then
  for file in *  
  do  
  mv $file /Users/<admin username here>/Desktop/badmails/
  break  
  done  
  fi 
  cd ..  
done  
killall list_server_mgr" password "<admin password here>" with administrator privileges  
  -- run again in an hour  
  return 3600  
end idle 

Update: just fixed a logic error in the script on the hourly checks.

Group emails not forwarded to members

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.