Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i figure out what is making up the "other" on my touch? It is hogging up 32 gB!

how do i figure out what is making up the "other" on my touch? It is hogging up 32 gB!

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Nov 8, 2014 3:36 PM

3 replies

Nov 11, 2014 7:42 AM in response to sgoldwater

Hey sgoldwater,

Thanks for the question. The following resource outlines helpful steps if you see a large amount of "other" space:

iOS: "Not enough free space" alert when trying to sync

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1503

Orphaned files may remain on your iOS device if it is physically disconnected while syncing music, podcasts, videos, or photos. This can prevent iTunes from syncing the iOS device on subsequent sync sessions. When this happens, the Capacity indicator in iTunes may report a large amount of "Other" disk usage for the iOS device. To resolve this issue:

1. Turn off the music or photo sync option in iTunes for the device.

2. Click Apply to sync the changes to the device.

3. Turn the music and photo sync options for the device on again.

4. Click Apply again to try to sync the device to iTunes.

If the 'Not enough free space' alert appears, continue to step 5.

5. Turn off the automatic syncing functions for the iOS device. To do this:

- Select the iOS device from the iTunes window and click the Summary tab.

- Deselect "Automatically sync when this device is connected" and select the "Sync only checked songs and videos" checkbox.

- Click Apply to sync the changes to the device.

- Reduce the amount of data that is being synced to the device and resync the device. For example, if syncing your Music library exceeds the memory capacity of the device, choose "Selected playlists" to transfer rather than "All songs and playlists" under the Music tab in iTunes.

If the 'Not enough free space' alert appears, continue to step 6.

6. Restore using iTunes.

Thanks,

Matt M.

Dec 29, 2014 2:00 PM in response to Matt_M.

My desktop itunes interface says that I have 26.63 GB available.

On my phone, in setting it says that I have 19.0 GB available.

I've tried restoring my iphone 4s from a backup and then I did a clean install.

It always results in the same message when I attempt to sync.

My itunes is 12.0.1.26

My phone OS is 8.1.2

User uploaded file

I just went so far as to uncheck sync of everything except my apps. According to the progress/allocation bar in itunes, I have 113.5mb of audio; 12.5mb of video; 28.5mb of photos; 1.10gb of apps; 32.3mb of documents; 36.34 GB of OTHER; and 19 GB Free.

I know now that if I restore, the other will go away temporarily. I cannot figure out what makes it revert to the "other"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.