Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not install a Windows ISO in Boot Camp

I created a partition for Boot Camp and I am ready to install Windows. Downloaded a trial Windows 7 ISO from MS and copied to a flash drive. Boot Camp does not recognize the ISO and is looking for an installation disk. How can I Install the downloaded ISO?

Posted on Nov 8, 2014 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2014 8:08 AM

Hi NCMau,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you are trying to install Windows using Bootcamp on your Apple computer. I understand you are using a trial version of Windows as well. To install Windows via Bootcamp on your Apple computer, Windows must be the full version. Please refer to the attached article for further information.

Mac Basics: Using Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support

Requirements

To use Boot Camp, you need:

1. An Intel-based Mac with a built-in keyboard, external USB keyboard, or an Apple supplied wireless keyboard, and a built-in trackpad, USB mouse, USB trackpad, or Apple supplied wireless mouse or trackpad.
  2. Mac OS X v10.5 or later.
  3. The latest firmware updates available for your Mac.
  4. Boot Camp Assistant, which is located in /Applications/Utilities/ . You can also open Launchpad and type Boot Camp Assistant in the search field.
  5. A DVD or downloaded (ISO) "full version" of Windows installation media. Boot Camp does not include Windows.
  6. For additional requirements, see Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows

Cheers,

Joe

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2014 8:08 AM in response to NCMau

Hi NCMau,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you are trying to install Windows using Bootcamp on your Apple computer. I understand you are using a trial version of Windows as well. To install Windows via Bootcamp on your Apple computer, Windows must be the full version. Please refer to the attached article for further information.

Mac Basics: Using Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support

Requirements

To use Boot Camp, you need:

1. An Intel-based Mac with a built-in keyboard, external USB keyboard, or an Apple supplied wireless keyboard, and a built-in trackpad, USB mouse, USB trackpad, or Apple supplied wireless mouse or trackpad.
  2. Mac OS X v10.5 or later.
  3. The latest firmware updates available for your Mac.
  4. Boot Camp Assistant, which is located in /Applications/Utilities/ . You can also open Launchpad and type Boot Camp Assistant in the search field.
  5. A DVD or downloaded (ISO) "full version" of Windows installation media. Boot Camp does not include Windows.
  6. For additional requirements, see Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows

Cheers,

Joe

Nov 11, 2014 1:03 PM in response to NCMau

Your iMac is older than supported machines that can use ISO. Burn you ISO to a DVD and use the Optical drive of your iMac or an external compatible SuperDrive.

From Boot Camp 5.1: Frequently asked questions - Apple Support

Can I install Windows from an ISO image?

To find out if your Mac supports that feature, open Boot Camp Assistant, then click the Continue button. If you see a checkbox labeled “Create a Windows 7 or later install disk,” your Mac can install Windows from an ISO image.

Nov 11, 2014 2:09 PM in response to NCMau

No. You can download a full version ISO and use it directly without a Windows PC.

From Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems - Apple Support

Supported versions of Windows

(Authentic, single, full-installation)

• Windows XP: Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 (Boot Camp 3)
  • Windows Vista: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate, Service Pack 1 or later (Boot Camp 3)
  • Windows 7: Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (Boot Camp 4 or 5.1)
  • Windows 8: Windows 8 or 8.1, Windows 8 or 8.1 Pro (Boot Camp 5.1 only)

Microsoft Windows system requirements

Can not install a Windows ISO in Boot Camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.