Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to print a numbers spreadsheet so column numbers show

I'm writing this with zero experience so please be nice 🙂 I am trying to print a numbers spreadsheet and I want the Column numbers to show (1,2,3 down the side and A, B,C up top) How can I do this? Thanks.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 9, 2014 6:13 AM

12 replies

Feb 2, 2015 6:05 PM in response to Stelgan7

Are you kidding? Numbers normally does not print the column and row coordinates? So you have to employ a workaround? I am astonished. how is anyone to use the spread sheet in a meeting, if you have to count down out loud and hold your place instead of just saying "look at cell F - 23"? This is madness. I was forced ot buy numbers because appleworks six no longer functions on laster OS. But now neither does Numbers function as far as using its product? This is madness.

John

Feb 2, 2015 9:45 PM in response to John Spiers

John,

Of course there is something to be said for properly labeled rows and columns anyway, so you don't *have* to rely on geeky letter and number "coordinates."

The only time I can remember people actually referring to the letters and numbers in a group situation... when someone jokingly referred to the "dog cell." They meant K9, of course.

SG

Feb 3, 2015 9:41 AM in response to SGIII

O nice! Deny I am experiencing what I am experiencing. The proper label upon which I rely is letter and number coordinates, and perhaps I am not alone since all spreadsheet programs, except inexplicably Numbers, prints them. Why have so many people and places on the net offered workarounds, if it is not a problem?

Why would I say "2011... Belgium, Increase over 2008" which would send attendees scrambling over the spreadsheet when I could just say D 28 and then all eyes are where they need to be? You don't explain this.

And then you double down by sharing you are the standard by which all should live. Perhaps in a career in which the only memorable financial meeting produced a pun suggests something about your career. Were you on the Numbers team? What could the motivation be for the elaborate insult?

John

Feb 3, 2015 1:29 PM in response to John Spiers

John,

It's amazing how many different ways people use spreadsheets! Didn't mean to deny people call out the cell coordinates in a meeting, sort of like a game of Bingo. Just never heard of that before.

If you feel strongly about that feature, you can communicate with Apple via Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback in your menu.

SG

Feb 3, 2015 3:04 PM in response to Stelgan7

No one suggested anyone calls out cell coordinates in a meeting, sort of like a game of bingo. So why introduce a straw man? You've never heard of people using coordinates when discussing a spreadsheet? Did you ever find it curious that every spreadsheet has them (only numbers does not print them.) Perhaps if you have so little experience with actual usage of spreadsheets, you might have left off the comments, since they seem so snarky.

John

Feb 3, 2015 3:23 PM in response to John Spiers

Hi John,

Apple's design philosophy (keep it simple and non-technical on the surface) is pretty well known, so to me it's not that surprising when they extend that philosophy to Numbers: quite a bit of power under the hood but a deceptively simple interface.

My experience shouldn't be an issue here. But since you brought it up, I am a long-time heavy user of spreadsheets, of Excel more than Numbers, but I find Numbers handy as well, and thought I'd point out my perspective, in response to your "are you kidding?" comment.

In Numbers, column letters and row numbers are just a quick click or a tap away, quite handy for my needs, and I like the fact that they recede gracefully into the background when not needed.

If unlike me you still do a lot of printing out to static reports (as opposed to sharing results dynamically online or on, say, a tablet) then you won't be as happy with Numbers as with many other spreadsheets.

But, as I say, you might consider in your menu going to Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback.

SG

how to print a numbers spreadsheet so column numbers show

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.