Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I run a headless Mac Pro

I have a new Mac Pro (it's awesome) and I have a macbook pro with a Thunderbolt monitor and bluetooth keyboard/trackpad etc. I have been able to use screen sharing to connect to the mac pro and I don't have any problems with resolution as some people have reported.

The problem is that anytime I have to reboot the mac pro the screen sharing and ssh services don't appear to start up until I log in. So I have to go hunt down a physical keyboard and plug a monitor into the macpro just so I can log in. Then I can disconnect and everything is fine until the next reboot. I'd like to know how I can configure these services to be available at startup without someone logging in. I know other people have done it. Could filevault be part of the problem since you have to log in to decrypt the drive maybe?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 9, 2014 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2014 5:58 PM

With FileVault active, you must connect a display to start up. There is a way to do a warm restart without that, but not a cold restart.

1 reply

How do I run a headless Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.