Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you turn off auto-hide on menu bar in Yosemite?

I really hate auto hide feature of menu bar in Yosemite. Does anyone know if there is there a way to turn it off so that menu bar is there permanently? I want to be able to see day date time and notifications etc without having to move cursor to top of screen? Please help as this is extremely annoying!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 9, 2014 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2014 2:08 PM

System Preferences > Dock. Uncheck Automatically hide and show the Dock. Quit System Preferences.

17 replies

Nov 9, 2014 2:33 PM in response to Jefp65

Jefp65 wrote:

I really hate auto hide feature of menu bar in Yosemite. Does anyone know if there is there a way to turn it off so that menu bar is there permanently? I want to be able to see day date time and notifications etc without having to move cursor to top of screen? Please help as this is extremely annoying!

There is no such feature called ‘auto-hide’. When you enter full screen mode the menu bar disappears. That’s the way it was designed and there is no way to change it. If this bothers you then do not enter full screen mode. Simply drag your app’s window size to fill as much of the screen as possible. The menu bar will not disappear then.

Mar 7, 2015 7:54 PM in response to Jefp65

This is a very annoying feature that I think Apple will eventually fix. If it is such a great feature to always hide the menu, then why would so many want to disable it? Sure, it gives a tiny extra bit of real estate to the app, but you lose all the easy to access icons, info and choices along the top. All it would take is a similar check box to disable the auto hide in full screen mode on apps for those of us that prefer to always see the menu. And by the way, for me, autohide on the menu bar at the bottom is a GREAT feature...and you can enable/disable it!

Mar 23, 2015 7:04 PM in response to GeorgeInGeorgia

If I understand correctly, I think what you guys are looking for is the '+' that fills the screen, but doesn't go into full screen, like in the previous OS versions. It's still there, you just hit the option key and the green button changes from full screen back to the '+'.

agreed- it seems like the default should be the other way around but ultimately it's still there. Hope this helps.

Apr 4, 2015 11:06 AM in response to DamienNY

Your suggestion of using the option click the green button to "fill up" rather than "full screen" works. And I hope more people notice such subtle but very important change of the red, amber green button on every working window.

Is there any way to revert back the default to "fill up" (previous OS version 10.8 or older) rather than the new "full screen"?

It seems that there are soooooooooooooo many people hate the new default full screen behaviour.

From usability perspective, people love the usual tool (menu bar) "alway" at the same place even when in full screen working mode.

This is an example of counter-intruitive change.

Jun 22, 2015 5:05 AM in response to Jefp65

Yes - this is completely annoying. Apple has been changing simple little procedures without telling us. They have to keep changing things even if there aren't enough changes to keep you upgrading and buying - kind of the whole reason we used to avoid Windows and support MAC back in the beige days - but those days are gone - get used to it - the interfaces are becoming and acting more "Windows" like all the time. The simplest most important things are getting hidden away non-intuitively - the whole reason if your company had windows computers you also needed an "IT" department to show everybody how to do everything - may be that way soon also now if you have MACS at your company - sad.

I finally found the simplest solution to this. Everything else is called "show" and "hide" under the menus - this one is called "Enter Full Screen" at the bottom of the "Views" menu - by default it is set to be in full screen and not show the menus unlike any other of the programs. The hidden key command that everybody is looking for is "Control + Command + F". that toggles it back and forth.

Can you turn off auto-hide on menu bar in Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.