Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean space, make faster

My Mac is running slow. How do i run a

diagnostic on it to speed it up?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

Posted on Nov 9, 2014 2:49 PM

7 replies

Nov 9, 2014 3:41 PM in response to rebcase

It would help us to help you if we could have some more technical info about your iMac.

If you so choose, please go ahead and download, install and run Etrecheck.

Etrecheck was developed as a simple Mac diagnostic report tool by a regular Apple Support forum user and technical support contributor named Etresoft. Etrecheck is a small, unobstrusive app that compiles a static snapshot of your entire Mac hardware system and installed software.

This is a free app that has been honestly created to provided help in diagnosing issues with Macs running the new OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

It is not malware and can be safely downloaded and installed onto your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Copy/paste and post its report here in another reply thread so that we have a complete profile of your Mac's hardware and installed software so we can all help with your Mac performance issues.

Thank You.

Nov 9, 2014 4:36 PM in response to rebcase

Please describe the problem in as much relevant detail as possible. The better your description, the better the chance of a solution.

For example, if the computer is slow, which specific actions are slow? Is it slow all the time, or only sometimes? When did it start to be slow? Did you change anything just before it started? Have you seen any alerts or error messages? Have you done anything to try to fix it? Most importantly, do you have a current backup of all data? If the answer to the last question is "no," back up now. Ask if you need guidance. Do nothing else until you have a backup.

Nov 14, 2014 12:19 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you.

I believe I have everything backed up. I purchased a time capsule with my computer.

I have had no error messages just a slowdown when it comes to bringing up attachments on line or a full view of e-mails. Other than updates I have not added any significant programs to the computer (just an couple of apps). My concern is whether my internet speed is slowing my Mac down or whether the problem is within my Mac.

Clean space, make faster

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.