Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I know if my iphone 6 uses a MLC or TLC drive?

I would like to know if my iphone 6 uses either a MLC or TLC drive.

I am using iphone 6 64gb gold.

Is there any way to check?

Posted on Nov 10, 2014 12:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2014 9:41 PM

Currently, using phonedoctor app is best way to configure. (no require jailbreaking)

After checking storage, writing speed is around or under 100, it is mlc.

wring speed is over 200, it could be tlc.

7 replies

Nov 18, 2014 11:58 PM in response to MarkCheng

Is it possible to get an immediate replacement? I contacted the apple staff but still waiting for response... Initially, I didnt know my memory is using TLC or MLC, the staff was very pacifying and assuring that my phone is good quality. But only when I used the app to see the results, it was really disappointing to learn that mine is in 3 too. Hopefully, they will do replacement for people who are concern if their ip6 memory is using TLC/MLC.

Dec 14, 2014 9:56 PM in response to fabianfok

Here's how you can check your phone is TLC or MLC, install "IOKitBrowser" from here: (no jailbreak required so this doesn't against the apple's rule).

http://www.pgyer.com/IOKitBrowser

after install search for "device characteristics", and keep tapping the result until you see something like this:

User uploaded file

Look for "default bits per cell", 2 means you got a MLC phone and you are fine, 3 means you got a TLC phone so you may probably experience some random reboot problem and keyboard missing etc issues. That really depends, according to my test, I have the random reboot problem when I used around 50% (around 600+ apps) of 128Gb (on two iPhone 6+s), and have keyboard issue, missing character issues and bunch of issues after I installed around 800+ apps. (10-20Gb left and crashes on both two 6+). I can say it's a very general issues since I only got two TLC phone, and haven't tested MLC iPhones yet, but it is possible that all the TLC have this risk till you install some amount of apps or used some amount of storage.

Re: iphone 6 automatically restarting?

How do I know if my iphone 6 uses a MLC or TLC drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.