Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What (and where) is Yosemite's "dark mode"?

I've encountered references to Yosemite's "dark mode" but I don't know what it is or how to activate it (and Mac Help makes no mention of it - someone at Apple please take note (yeah, right)).

Can someone enlighten me (or endarken me, as the case may be)? What is it, how do I activate it, and how did the people who know the answers to these questions find them out? I was never told...

Thanks...

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 16 GB RAM & a bunch of other specs...

Posted on Nov 10, 2014 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2014 9:48 AM

Open General preferences and check the box here:

User uploaded file

6 replies

Nov 10, 2014 9:49 AM in response to nikkormac

Go to Preferences > General.

Right underneath appearance select "Dark Mode"

They should have called it black menu bar. That is all it is. A dark Menu bar with dark menus. OH - The dock goes dark too...

It has absolutely nothing to do with a dark mode... All apps are just as bright as they normally are and the black menus (The Dark Mode) is actually making those app windows appear even brighter than when in normal mode... The dark mode is thus in reality a "Make my App Windows Look MUCH brighter" Mode...

If they had made the apps go dark too, then it would have been dark mode... But this is a joke, IMO

Nov 10, 2014 9:57 AM in response to nikkormac

The only actual purpose I can think of for dark mode is for folks who want the entire interface to have a consistent look when using pro apps from Adobe, Apple and other sources who all have the idea that a pro app should have a dark gray design. As if somehow that makes it work any differently. So as an example, this is how Premiere Pro looks under Mavericks:

User uploaded file

Boy, that gray bar on top really bugs me. If only there were a way to make it a dark gray to match everything else. In Yosemite, now there is.

Otherwise, it's just for folks who like the Goth look, or whatever. But no matter how you want to look at it, it's a simple preference choice for the user who wants a bit of a different look. That's about all.

What (and where) is Yosemite's "dark mode"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.