Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't open PDFs on my iPad from the Safari Browser

I can't open PDFs on my iPad from the Safari Browser. I previously was able to open PDFs and I thought the issue was that I needed to do a softward update, but I just updated to iOS 8.1 and still can't open the PDFs. I click the link and a new tab opens in the browser, but no PDF. The screen is just gray and sometimes not even gray, just blank. Can anyone help?

iPad Air, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 10, 2014 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2014 5:04 PM

Clear Safari, then force close Safari and finally reset your iPad.

Go to Settings>Safari>Clear History and Website Data

Now close Safari. In order to close apps, you have to drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

Next, reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2014 5:04 PM in response to gbrown08

Clear Safari, then force close Safari and finally reset your iPad.

Go to Settings>Safari>Clear History and Website Data

Now close Safari. In order to close apps, you have to drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

Next, reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

Nov 17, 2014 7:06 AM in response to Demo

I didn't have any website data in the Safari settings. Restarted the device but the issue still exists. Any other suggestions? This same issue affects my iPhone 5c. I click the link to open PDFs but the screen is blank and the PDF doesn't open. Sometimes I'll get a blank screen with the "open in iBooks" link but when I hit the link nothing happens.

Feb 12, 2016 9:11 AM in response to gbrown08

I had the same problem and wanted to share what worked for me. When I clicked to open a .pdf in SafarI, I finally noticed that my iPad seemed to be trying to open it in a new tab.

In Settings > Safari > General > Block Pop-ups was on. I turned OFF Block Pop-ups and I was able to open the .pdf with no problems.

Hope that helps some frustrated soul out there!

I can't open PDFs on my iPad from the Safari Browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.