Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't open iCloud file on my mac

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet on my iCloud account that I can open on iCloud.com. When I try to open it with Numbers 3.5 on my mac, I get an error : File "XXX.numbers" can't be opened.

Finder even shows me nicely a preview of the spreadsheet.

I'm running yosemite and iOS 8 all over...

numbers-OTHER

Posted on Nov 10, 2014 4:48 PM

8 replies

Nov 13, 2014 7:39 AM in response to mscaldas

My situation is similar. I saved a PDF on my Windows 7 laptop to my iCloud drive. I can open the PDF from my iCloud drive on that laptop. I can see the file in Finder on my iMac (running OS X Yosemite 10.10) in the iCloud Drive folder (PDFs) containing the file. I can even see a preview of the file in Finder. However, when I try to open it by double-clicking it, I get "The file "<filename>.pdf" couldn't be opened". If I launch Preview and try to open the file from my iCloud drive, I get the same result. I've tried logging out/logging back in to iCloud on both the Windows 7 laptop and the iMac to no avail.

Nov 15, 2014 6:27 AM in response to RToomey

Update: I finally threw in the towel and contacted Apple Support. It took an hour and a referral to tier 2 to get what turned out to be a simple solution. I unchecked iCloud Drive in my iMac settings, rebooted the iMac, and re-checked iCloud Drive in settings. After doing this, I was then able to open all of the iCloud Drive documents that wouldn't open prior to the uncheck/reboot/re-check steps.

Sep 16, 2015 5:50 AM in response to mscaldas

I had that problem and was loathe to uptick iCloud drive in settings, which would delete all docs on my mac and I would have had to re-download them again. So all I did is restart my machine... and it worked! (I think I've been off Windows too long and forgotten to restart my machine when things go wrong :-D

can't open iCloud file on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.