Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote 6.5 move animation problem

After updating to Keynote 6.5, I have a problem with the move animation function.

When two or more images have an animation effect applied and one of those effects is a move, after the last animation effect on the slide, the moved image jumps back to its original location.

Any ideas on how to fix this? So far I have removed Keynote, Pages and Numbers with AppCleaner, restarted in safe mode, restored disk permissions, restarted normally and reinstalled iWork --but the problem persists.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 10, 2014 9:16 PM

11 replies

Nov 12, 2014 12:12 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Hi Gary, I have more specifically identified the problem. It occurs when an object transition effect is applied to a slide which has a move animation.

For example.

1. create a move animation for any object

2. set the slide transition to any object effect (e.g. slide transition: object flip)

when I play the slideshow, the moved object(s) jumps back to its original position after the last animation on the slide.

Nov 13, 2014 3:36 AM in response to Ethan Apple

From your description, I can't see how the first object can reappear, to sumarise:

slide 1:

using White theme with blank slide

a square shape placed in the centre of slide

select the shape then; animate > action move

the square moves to the left of screen

animate > transition > object flip

the slide flips to reveal next slide

slide 2:

a slide with a circle shape placed in the centre

playback:

select slide 1

click the play button on the toolbar or (option command P)

you are saying instead of slide 2 appearing, slide 1 reappears showing the square instead of slide two?

If your settings are different to my summary, add the additional steps you are doing

If this happens Im happy for you to send me a two slide Keynote so I can deconstruct the sequence

Mar 26, 2015 12:32 AM in response to Ethan Apple

I also had the problem and I was able to "solve" it by not using "object zoom" as a transition to the next slide. So I didn't had magic move but also an object based transition which keynote seems to have problems with.

I want to add that I also had slides with magic move that have crashed keynote after the last animation was run, so those object based transitions seem to be the cause of many problems.

Mar 26, 2015 6:04 AM in response to ohcibi

Just saw this new reply today, I didn't respond as I missed the reply in November.

I have created a two slide presentation exactly as described in the video, it works perfectly as required (the shape does not jump back to start position before the transition)

I use Keynote versions 5.3, 6.2 and 6.5 and all work as required.

I would suggest resetting Keynote, perform all the steps in the order listed:

1. remove Keynote version 6.5, you must use an application removal tool for this procedure to work: Appcleaner is free, I use Appzapper
  2. empty the trash
  3. shut Down the Mac (Apple menu > Shut Down)
  4. wait 10 seconds, then press the power button
  5. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key,
    release the Shift key when you see the grey Apple screen
    start up will take a few minutes longer than usual as the Mac is performing a software repair
  6. restart the Mac normally, (don’t hold down any keys during startup)
  7. install Keynote from the Mac App Store

Mar 27, 2015 9:21 AM in response to Gary Scotland

As your response was directed to me, I want to add that I did not upload any video, that was done by the OP.

I just experienced similar (but different) issues with other object based transitions (but also with magic move itself), that included a complete crash of keynote.

I will try out your steps, when I have time, but honestly I doubt that it has to do with the keynote installation. The machine i'm working on is quite new and never had another keynote version installed. The thing thats old and grown is my presentation. I created it with what was the latest keynote version a year ago, plus I pasted a whole other presentation that was made with an even older version of keynote into it. I already had some other issues when I did that, but those never affected the actual presentation but just the tools for editing the presentation.

Is it maybe possible to "repair" a presentation somehow and not the keynote installation?

Keynote 6.5 move animation problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.