Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

siri does not hear through internal iphone 5 microphone

Hi,

I have an iPhone 5 which runs iOS 8.

Siri does not work when using it through my iPhone microphone, that is:

- I press the Home button long enough

- Screen grays out, Siri interface appears with its microphone icon and waveline

- I speak or shout and the waveline remains desperately flat (no input)

However, strangely, when in my car with an active Bluetooth hands-free connection, Siri works and answers me alright!

Troubleshooting already done:

- restarted iphone (sliding button)

- restarted iPhone (holding down power and home button)

- turned off Siri, then turned on again

- tried the microphone with other mic-enabled apps (Google, memos, etc) - microphone works fine like a charm

So I am at loss here :

- microphone works

- siri works, in my car on bluetooth

- but Siri does not work directly with my iPhone 5 microphone!

Any idea anyone?

Posted on Nov 11, 2014 12:02 AM

2 replies

Oct 6, 2015 10:27 AM in response to lanceloz

Guy, I (think) finally found the answer.

It seems there is a problem with frontal microphone (yes, iPhone have one). There is one on the right side of frontal earphone (where you put your ear to hear) - if you looking to your phone frontally.

To see if it is, record a frontal video. If no sound was recorded, maybe this is the cause of Siri not work.

Although that, I do not have answer how to fix it (if are problem with cables, software bug, or something else). In my research, I'm believing that is a problem with one of the flats cable. But, at same time, this problem only appeared after iOS 8 update. So, I'm not so sure about my convictions.

siri does not hear through internal iphone 5 microphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.