Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite Photoshop CS3 problem

I can now run Photoshop CS3 in Yosemite...BUT, I rely on access to File Info for the upkeep of my archive.

I can raise the File Info screen and even add to it, BUT, I can't close it down!

My only solution is to quit Photoshop every time I use File Info... which is driving me MAD!

Simon Danby

Posted on Nov 11, 2014 2:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2014 6:17 PM

Hi same situation as Simon. Just updated to MacOS 10.10 Yosemite and running Adobe Photoshop CS3. I needed to install Java SE6 to get it to work. Now photoshop will open. Trouble is when I use the file info for a caption. You can caption all you want but you can't save or cancel the caption the program just won't respond. The only thing you can do is quit photoshop. As a workaround I use photomechanic for all the caption work and photoshop CS3 for color adjustment. Anybody have a idea to fix the caption part in photoshop CS3?

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2014 6:17 PM in response to Simon_Alston

Hi same situation as Simon. Just updated to MacOS 10.10 Yosemite and running Adobe Photoshop CS3. I needed to install Java SE6 to get it to work. Now photoshop will open. Trouble is when I use the file info for a caption. You can caption all you want but you can't save or cancel the caption the program just won't respond. The only thing you can do is quit photoshop. As a workaround I use photomechanic for all the caption work and photoshop CS3 for color adjustment. Anybody have a idea to fix the caption part in photoshop CS3?

Nov 12, 2014 6:45 PM in response to Simon_Alston

Have you checked photoshop preferences for its RAM vs VM memory setup - that may be the conflict with Yosemite.

Maverick and Yosemite try to keep everything in RAM and will compress then delete inactive pages of a program before swapping it to VM.

I have CS3 on Snow Leopard and hadn't been in preferences for a number of years as I am very happy with its performance and the performance of the Mac the way memory is setup to function.

Nov 13, 2014 5:08 AM in response to Simon_Alston

Except for the different GPU settings (video card/enable 3D acceleration) the setup matches mine (which is the default for CS3)

As I am at Snow Leopard - if I open the Activity monitor (utility menu) I see that Photoshop has 121.8 mb in RM and 435.9 in VM.

Open Photoshop, then bring up the Activity Monitor & you will have different numbers and may see nothing in VM.

I have 4GB of memory which is great with the way SL handles memory - but I have the bad feeling is not adequate once Maverick game along (its the software is free, or course you do have to spend more than $30 bucks for the hardware upgrade -- Bad Apple 😠.

Nov 13, 2014 9:45 AM in response to notcloudy

I did a quick search using ASK.COM web browser (my favorite for getting answers) Photoshop Problems with Yosemite and also Photoshop CS3 Problems with yosemite

Here are some of the threads that came up just on first page -- those sites, particularly ADOBE Forums may help you and others with photoshop problems.

Illustrator CS3 crashes after Yosemite upgrade | Adobe Community ...

forums.adobe.com/thread/1610653

Photoshop CS5: Not working in Yosemite (Java Runtime)

feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-cs5-not-working-i...

5 days ago ... This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled MacOS 10.10 Yosemite and Photoshop CS3. How do I get my Photoshop CS3 to run ..

OS X 10.10 Yosemite: Will Adobe software work? | conrad chavez ...

blog.conradchavez.com/2014/10/16/os-x-10-10-yosemite-will-adobe-software-w...

Oct 16, 2014 ... It is not clear where the problem is or if there is any workaround. ... Although Photoshop CS3–CS5 were not extensively tested on Yosemite by ...

Photoshop CS5: “An unexpected and unrecoverable problem has ...

feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/problems-with-photoshop-cs...

Oct 18, 2014 ... I have a new problem with Photoshop and I wonder if you could help resolve it as I am ... Just upgraded my iMac 27 to OS to Yosemite version 10.10. ... I have CS3, CS4 and CS5 running on a clean installation of Yosemite.

Nov 13, 2014 2:20 PM in response to Simon_Alston

Yosemite Photoshop CS3 problem <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6663178?answerId=27090526022#27090526022&ac_cid=tw123456#27090526> Hoping there is a fix for Photoshop CS3 soon. My workflow is photomechanic for most of the caption work and CS3 for toning, color corection and caption tweaking in the file info. I don’t need all the latest stuff of the new photoshop programs and not a fan of all the work arounds.

Jan 3, 2015 9:41 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks, Eau. Using Bridge seems to be the only work-around.

But it is not that bad. When photo is open in Photoshop, there is Bridge icon (Br) with a magnifying glass. Click it and Bridge comes up. Unless you used Bridge to find photo and open it to begin with, you have find your photo in a folder to the left. Once photo is found and highlighted, go under File in Bridge and go down to bottom for File Info. File Info drops down and looks same as in Photoshop. Add your Description info, copyright, captions. etc. and click OK and File Info closes! Then jump back to Photoshop and finishing editing photo, etc and Save.

Yosemite Photoshop CS3 problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.