Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to disable swipe left delete in Mail on iOS8?

Not only does it make it unbelievably difficult to access the 'More, Flag, Trash' options, but it deletes the email permanently without even a confirmation message

What a horrible, horrible UX decision. I lost a few important emails this afternoon due to this.

Is there a way to disable it?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 11, 2014 11:29 AM

5 replies

Dec 2, 2014 5:10 PM in response to Peter@27

No, the "ask before delete" option will only activate when you are viewing the whole email, i.e. after you have clicked on the message.

I totally hate this "feature" as well. I accidently delete emails all the time. The top email on the list (not the top of the screen, I tested this) will swipe delete much easier than ones below it. Such an annoying feature. I'm surprised more people aren't losing it over this.

Mar 4, 2015 5:42 PM in response to JPSyndrome

I absolutely hate this as well! Hard to believe this is how this feature was implemented.

Swipe right to "mark unread" .. Swipe left to "flag" or "delete" ... when trying to flag an important email, it is a very fine line to accidentally delete it.

Delete should be by itself when swiping left.

Swiping right should give you the option to "flag" or "mark as unread."

Is it possible to disable swipe left delete in Mail on iOS8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.