Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5K Retina iMac can't open Image Sequence quicktime 7 Pro and 10.10 Yosemite

Brand new and fully loaded iMac 5K crashes every time I attempt to open an image sequence in Quicktime 7 Pro, a feature that is not available in Quicktime X. I have retried, re-installed, and still issues across the board.

Someone please fix this...

System Specs:

OSX 10.10

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

Quicktime 7 Pro 7.6.6 (1709)

Quicktime Player 10.4

To replicate, just open quicktime 7 pro, File>> Open Image Sequence, and then load a camera card full of photos and just wait for it to crash.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10), 32GB of Memory and Radeon R9 M295X

Posted on Nov 11, 2014 12:18 PM

17 replies

Nov 11, 2014 2:36 PM in response to MarcoFastPhoto

To replicate, just open quicktime 7 pro, File>> Open Image Sequence, and then load a camera card full of photos and just wait for it to crash.

Still works fine for me. Unfortunately, you neglected to mention the resolution, compression format, or number of photos you are trying to open as an image sequence. Qt 7 still has historical limitations with respect to each of these factors.

User uploaded file

Nov 11, 2014 4:27 PM in response to Jon Walker

Opening a few thousand photos, JPG format, shot on Canon 5D mark iii. It's the same setup that I have been doing with all of my photos for the last 2 years, the only difference is a new mac and operating system. I'm assuming you have a retina iMac with 10.10 and Quicktime Pro 7.6.6 ?

If so, please send me a screen shot of your quicktime components folder, maybe you have a codec that I don't.

Nov 11, 2014 5:32 PM in response to MarcoFastPhoto

If so, please send me a screen shot of your quicktime components folder, maybe you have a codec that I don't.

User uploaded file

Also have some legacy codecs turned back on (but Photo-JPEG as used to store image sequence files is not one of them and remains on by default under Yosemite).

Also using JPEG compressed photos from a 24 MP Nikon but restricting resolution to 2560x1920 (4:3), 2560x1707 (3:2), and 2560x1440 (16:9) with max number of photos limited to 2^16-1 (65535).

Also posted a screen capture of my quick test to ensure the QT 7 Pro "Open Image Sequence" option was still working. (Video may be a bit sluggish as I was using QT X to screen capture my use of QT 7 Pro to open an image sequence and forgot that I was also simultaneously still encoding How to Train Your Dragon 2 for my iTunes library.) [OPEN IMAGE SEQUENCE VIDEO]

You may wish to check your QT 7 PLIST file as a corrupted file can sometimes cause the app to crash.

User uploaded file

Nov 17, 2014 10:06 AM in response to Jon Walker

Tried again today and still same issue. There are not nearly as many .component files in my Quicktime folder, but none of them seem specific to my issue. I turned the legacy codecs back on and still it crashes. Should I post the crash report?

This is a brief:

rashed Thread: 10 QTKit: QTVisualContextImageProviderWorkLoop

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00000000b0198d7c

VM Regions Near 0xb0198d7c:

Stack 00000000b0117000-00000000b0198000 [ 516K] rw-/rwx SM=PRV

--> Stack 00000000b0198000-00000000b0199000 [ 4K] ---/rwx SM=NUL

Stack 00000000b0199000-00000000b021a000 [ 516K] rw-/rwx SM=PRV

Nov 17, 2014 12:15 PM in response to MarcoFastPhoto

Looks like this problem has been around since an upgrade to snow leopard. Quicktime 7 Pro Open Image Sequence Fails

I don't understand why a 5K imac can't handle a photo to video export. Resolution is: 5760 × 3840 pixels

It won't even open a single image at that resolution. If I scale down the resolution then I can get it to open, but this is ridiculous, because I dont have this problem with any of the other macs in my office running quicktime 7 pro. Only this mac. Why would I want to compress the resolution? I want to export full resolution like I always have before.

Nov 17, 2014 4:36 PM in response to MarcoFastPhoto

I don't understand why a 5K imac can't handle a photo to video export. Resolution is: 5760 × 3840 pixels

I assume this is pre-HiDPI doubling?

It won't even open a single image at that resolution. If I scale down the resolution then I can get it to open, but this is ridiculous, because I dont have this problem with any of the other macs in my office running quicktime 7 pro. Only this mac. Why would I want to compress the resolution? I want to export full resolution like I always have before.

I think you are forgetting that there are two independent resolution limitations here and "doubled" drawing in the Retina mode. The first is on the QT 7 Pro software itself and the second is on the Retina 5K "resolution doubling" before rendering. The former limits what can be displayed on a non-Retina or scaled Retina display while "resolution doubling" limits what can be pre-processed for Retina 5K display. (I.e., the 5K display display resolution is 5120x2880 pixels or 14,745,600 pixels while your "pre-doubled" 5760x3840 photos actually contain 87,321,600 pixels when doubled in width and height before attempting to downscale for rendering on the display in the "Best for Retina" mode.

Suggest you limit your photos to fit within a 2560x1440 area (2160x1440 to retain full 3:2 aspect) for "reasonable" video display to avoid problems or run in the scaled mode to simulate a non-Retina display.

User uploaded file

Feb 18, 2015 9:04 AM in response to zblom

I'm just using about 100 pictures that are 3-4MB each

Once again... Are you talking about 6000x4000 pixel highly compressed JPEG images or 1 megapixel resolution RAW images? Are you trying to create a 90-120 Mbps quicktime sequence (the equivalent of playing 5-6 blu-ray movies simultaneously) or something more reasonable and more compatible with QT 7 playback?

User uploaded file

Feb 18, 2015 3:22 PM in response to Jon Walker

5184x3456 and something reasonable, but I don't get anywhere near that far. I was literally just looking to put 45 pictures into a short video at about 5 pictures per second.

I select "open image sequence"

It opens a finder window

I select an image and click open

I select a frame rate and hit OK

It then opens what looks like a Quicktime player window for few seconds then crashes.

Feb 18, 2015 4:09 PM in response to zblom

5184x3456 and something reasonable, but I don't get anywhere near that far. I was literally just looking to put 45 pictures into a short video at about 5 pictures per second.

Assuming these are JPEG photos (which you have yet to confirm), try something in the 1920x1280 to 2560x1707 resolution. (I.e., QT 7 is basically a legacy vintage player and a 3840x2160 resolution would constitute a 4K UHD or 5120x2880 a 5K file format.) This should produce a Photo-JPEG sequence compatible with QT 7.

I personally would use dimensions that fit within a 2560x1440 screen for maximum compatibility across platforms.

User uploaded file

Feb 26, 2015 12:19 PM in response to Jon Walker

This is still really annoying, 5K imac can't even render out to play a 5k video file. Going through the extra step to down res all of these photos is just plain stupid just because apple doesn't feel like fully supporting Quicktime 7 Pro. I have nearly 250,000 photos that you are asking me to resize to a smaller file size, and since I always keep the originals, I will have an extra 250,000 duplicates sitting on my drive. Jon, Thank you for answering these questions, but this is not a solution, just a work around.

Feb 26, 2015 3:06 PM in response to MarcoFastPhoto

This is still really annoying, 5K imac can't even render out to play a 5k video file. Going through the extra step to down res all of these photos is just plain stupid just because apple doesn't feel like fully supporting Quicktime 7 Pro.

QT 7 a 20-year old application originally developed to support the display of postage stamp sized videos. It was not designed to specifically handle 2K, 4K, 5K, 8K or other UHD content and is no longer under development by Apple since Apple is now devoting its time and effort to the active development of QT X—a completely different and more modern multimedia structure that supports both program and transport stream content in ultra-high display densities.

I have nearly 250,000 photos that you are asking me to resize to a smaller file size, and since I always keep the originals, I will have an extra 250,000 duplicates sitting on my drive. Jon, Thank you for answering these questions, but this is not a solution, just a work around.

Depending on what software you use to manage your photos, you may be able to batch process your photos to new target resolutions—which is what I do in Aperture. In addition to the resolution limits on QT 7 Pro already mentioned, there is also a limitation on the number of photos that can be sequenced to a single clip—i.e., 2^16-1 or 65,535 "photo frames" in a single sequence (assuming this has not been changed since I last tested this limit). As to this not being a solution, you can always search the Internet to see if there are any third-party applications better meet your current needs.

User uploaded file

Apr 3, 2015 2:37 AM in response to MarcoFastPhoto

I have this with a very recent Mac Mini. About 120 jpgs trying to do 10 fps and QT Pro just simply crashes in Yosemite. Pretty pathetic - and I only bought QT Pro licence for its "supposed" ability to do quick time lapses, having found the latest iMovie to be pretty pathetic at this. Having tried two Apple software products and having found it a miserable waste of time I will take the hint and buy something elsewhere.

5K Retina iMac can't open Image Sequence quicktime 7 Pro and 10.10 Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.