Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the best way to transfer just my photos from my MacPro(10.6.8) to my new 27inch retina display iMac

I have just purchased a new 27inch IMac and am cleaning out files etc from my MacBook Pro (circa 2010) with 10.6.8 OS. But the photos I want to keep in tact. Whats the best way to upload the photos onto the IMac - using time machine? or drag them over album by album?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 11, 2014 1:51 PM

4 replies

Nov 11, 2014 1:58 PM in response to anthonyfromabingdon

I assume you have a home network. Connect both computers to your network. If possible do this using Ethernet for faster speed and better reliability. Configure your MBP for File Sharing. Use a copy program such as Carbon Copy Cloner 4.0.2 to transfer your entire folder of photos to your new machine.

OS X Mavericks- Connect to shared computers and file servers on a network

Mac Basics- File Sharing

Nov 11, 2014 2:21 PM in response to anthonyfromabingdon

Just the photos? - Launch iPhoto and export them and move the exported photos over

To keep the photos and the organization then you Connect the two Macs together (network, firewire target mode, etc) or use an external hard drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity from the old Mac to the pictures folder of the new Mac - launch iPhoto on the new mac and it will open the library and convert it as needed and you will be ready move forward.

LN

What's the best way to transfer just my photos from my MacPro(10.6.8) to my new 27inch retina display iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.