Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scrolling causes garbled text, only in iTunes 12, since upgrade to Yosemite.

This never happened in iTunes 12 when I was using Mavericks, but this started since upgrading to Yosemite. When I scroll, like lines of the text overlap and garble. I already tried deleting the iTunes plist files in my user library. It only happens in iTunes 12 and only when I scroll. Seems like the faster I scroll, the more garble I get.

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 11, 2014 8:21 PM

25 replies

Nov 20, 2014 8:41 AM in response to brassknucklenerd

Same problem here, as well with same software combination, on a late 2012, 27" iMac w/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB. Some kind of problem with the driver exposed by the way iTunes makes calls for scrolling its text. I don't see this in all apps, so it's something more than just iTunes, or just the driver.

I've also noticed it doesn't always do this, but only at certain times. It may not be handing some other graphics updates in the window (due to activity in other threads) that are simultaneous with scrolling correctly. I have to experiment more.

I have yet to update to 10.10.1, so I need to give that a try still.

Nov 24, 2014 7:32 PM in response to fugnug

I have it too. It seems iTunes isn't redrawing the text correctly. Strangely enough if iTunes isn't the active window, and you scroll it, you don't have this problem. Also if you have this garbled text, clicking into another app (making something like Safari or Calculator the active window,) causes iTunes to redraw, as well as just moving your mouse over the garbled text.

Dec 17, 2014 5:06 AM in response to Garrett Fogerlie

Yeah. This is a pretty odd feature about the problem. It does that for me too when I mouse over and swipe scroll, while focused on another app like desktop. Then it doesn't cause the problem. This is no solution, because it would be pretty inconvenient to do that just to scroll iTunes, but if you really need to read a garbled line of music info, clicking the desktop is an easy quick fix for now.

Incidentally, I've been up all night reinstalling apps after a clean install of Yosemite after I wiped Macintosh HD, not particularly for the scrolling nuisance, but for all around better performance. iTunes was the one of the first apps I opened after the reboot, and I clicked the radio tower in playlist view, before I used my old library, and even the radio channels were scrambling on scroll after my clean install.

Jan 19, 2015 1:31 PM in response to fugnug

I am having the same problem in iTunes 12 w/ recent Yosemite upgrade on a 2011 15" Quad Core i7 2.2ghz w/ hybrid GPU. Didn't even update iTunes prior to OS upgrade so I couldn't verify the specific origins of said problem. iTunes update hasn't been a winner for me in the first place, but the screen redraws add to an already painful transition. Just chiming in to make sure someone is on the job.

Jan 21, 2015 7:57 PM in response to QuePasaNonGrata

That there is another way to avoid the bug. It's still no fix, but it could come in handy if you really need to use playlist mode and scroll a lot without the text collapsing upon itself. I also notice the scrolling struggles in Fullscreen mode. It could be related. It's not the same visual defect, but scrolling is slow and choppy like it's really chewing the cpu or like when a graphics card is not compatible.

Jan 24, 2015 11:25 PM in response to Garrett Fogerlie

Garrett Fogerlie wrote:

I documented this issue in a video using multiple video cards, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pln1Lt18Wo The workaround I mentioned earlier also doesn't work, as I point out in the video.

What did you use to screen capture the defect? I tried to capture it with Quicktime, but it didn't capture the flaw.

The sample I posted, I just re-created the defect with Photoshop CC.

Jan 24, 2015 11:47 PM in response to Garrett Fogerlie

You seem to have figured this glitch out better than I seeings how you tested it on multiple graphics cards. Have you signed in to bug reporting at https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/ ? If not, you should submit that Youtube video of yours. I tried to fill the form out, but I wasn't sure of what steps are needed to reproduce, since it just happens every time I run iTunes 12.

Scrolling causes garbled text, only in iTunes 12, since upgrade to Yosemite.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.