Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Last Played Column Not Functioning

I am not sure I have the latest update of iTunes. In fact, I hope I don't. Over the past couple of years, that seems to be the safest thing to do - to wait.
The version that I have is 12.0.1.2.6 and my issue is that in audiobooks and in music, the column for "last played" is not functioning at all.

For some reason, only a handful of my 100 or so audiobook files are even showing a last played date & time. I used to rely heavily on this, as somebody with a memory loss issue and now its just kaput. I googled the issue & am finding complaints from as far back as 2005 to 2012 but nothing too, too recent.

Any advice for me? I cant just call Apple without being charged, as I haven't bought any new products lately because...well, anyway, Thanks a lot I know you all are just volunteering to answer these questions & I appreciate it.

iPhone 4, Windows 8

Posted on Nov 12, 2014 1:34 AM

4 replies

Jul 5, 2015 10:01 PM in response to Yaelle

WOW! Having forgotten that I even posted this back about 9 months ago I just did a web search for the exact problem.
To be honest, I've mostly been using a different device & service all this time but there ARE times when using iTunes would be a lot more convenient.

Well, I've done all of the updates & done whatever I can on my end and the "last played" column is Always wrong. Strangely enough, it seems to keep the same 3 audiobooks up at the top of the list when I click to sort by most recent date. And no matter what I listen to or for how long, the order does not change.

This is the 1st search result that I did tonight but I know I've checked the web once every few months for this issue and I'm always seeing reports of it going as far back as 3 years ago. Unsat!!

Jul 5, 2015 10:07 PM in response to Yaelle

Ok talking to myself a bit here but OMG! I just had a thought.
Over the past few minutes while typing my above reply I have installed the newest version of iTunes - 12.2.0 - and when I minimized this screen, the iTunes window showed a small popup thingy with my most-recently played audiobooks and that info actually was correct.
I started thinking about it & now I wonder if the column called "last played" doesn't show what was played last but WHEN it was that specific items were last played. But if that's the case, why don't they display properly when I click the column heading? Like to show which ones were most recently used??

Hope I'm making sense here! Now of course I cant get that little window like thing to re-appear so there is that. I'll continue messing around with it.

Last Played Column Not Functioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.