Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Keychain turns itself off

On my iPhone, iCloud Keychain goes sometimes off. I don't know why, but it's one of the very frustrating "features" of iOS8.

Why is this happening and can I fix it? My iPhone is protected by fingerprint.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 12, 2014 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 11:24 AM

Hi, iAmRenzo.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

Here is an article that has some helpful troubleshooting steps for issues with iCloud Keychain.

iCloud: Troubleshooting iCloud Keychain

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4644

Cheers,

Jason H.

19 replies

Nov 17, 2014 2:50 AM in response to FelipeV

The screen with the switch appears, in grey (not adjustable).

The sign in to iCloud popups shows, I enter my Apple ID password.

After 3 seconds the iCloud Keychain switch enables (is adjustable), I switch it to on.

On my iPad I enter my Apple ID to approve Keychain on my iPhone.

On my iPhone iCloud Keychain is enabled (approve text is gone, "Advanced" appears in the list).

It all looks good. As the last time. But within x days, when I look at the iCloud preferences pane: i can repeat all this... again... and again.

Nov 17, 2014 12:55 PM in response to FelipeV

Sorry, but you are wrong. The fact that you don´t have any issues with this, is irrelevant. A bug can very well only affect some users. I am also running iCloud Keychain on several devices. And most of the time it is without any problems. Only now and again the Keychain is automatically turned OFF under settings>iCloud>Keychain. And I have to go trough the activation process as described by iAmRenzo. Seems like a bug to me.

Nov 18, 2014 4:44 AM in response to viking bear

Just because it "seems" like a bug, doesn't mean it is . And the fact that only a few people are having your problem is relevant. And that is happening "once in a while" does NOT mean it is a bug. As I said, there could be an authentication problem that you are having with iCloud.

In any case an update to both Yosemite and iOS 8 was released yesterday. If that does not solve the problem, try deleting your iCloud account and then reloging in again and reauthenticating. If you have 2 step verification you will have to verify from a trusted device even if you are using the iOS passcode. If that does not work, again, contact iCloud support. There could be a problem with your credentials.

Nov 18, 2014 8:46 AM in response to FelipeV

Thank you very much for participating in this discussion and taking time to give advices.

Of course I agree that just because something seems like a bug , it doesn´t mean it really is. But as you can see from other threads, there are quite a lot of people describing this situation.

I have both an iPad2 and an iPhone4S running iOS8, so I will first try to install the just released updates.

But could you please explain what you mean by saying "there could be an authentication problem"?

I use iCloud a lot. On the web (iCloud.com), om my iMac, on my iPhone and on my iPad. I use iCloud for almost everything. Mail, calendars, contacts, Safari bookmarks, notes, reminders, find-my-every-iThing, Photostream and iCloud Drive for Keynote, Pages and Numbers. And I use iCloud for synchronization of different iPhone and iPad Apps. I have no issues at all with none of these. I have no problems with verification of my iCloud account with any of these services. And I also use iMessage and Facetime with the same account. I have no problem activating iCloud Keychain on any of my devices. iCloud Keychain is working all the time on my iMac. The only issue I have with iCloud, is that after one or two days, iCloud Keychain is turned OFF on my iPhone and/or on my iPad. How do you explain that with "an authentication problem"?

Nov 19, 2014 2:18 AM in response to FelipeV

Luckily the iOS 8.1.1 fixed something! iCloud Keychain is still "on".

I hope this is "the same" as your advice deleting and resetting iCloud. I hope others will have this bug fixed as well with this release.

We can continue to fix other problems on iOS 8 and 10.10 Yosemite 😟😉 still a few bugs to eliminate! haha

Mar 19, 2015 12:43 AM in response to FelipeV

Had similar issue. For me, it only came up after the 8.2 update. I followed the steps in Get help using iCloud Keychain - Apple Support as shown below, except I turned off iCloud completely on my device and just turned the keychain off on my iMac. Be sure to leave the items on your iMac or you will loose all keychain items. And make sure that you know your approval security code!

If you can't sync iCloud Keychain with other devices

Make sure that your device is on a Wi-Fi or cellular network. If the connection appears strong, try these steps:

1. Turn off iCloud Keychain on all devices.
  2. Turn on iCloud Keychain on the device that has the most up-to-date keychain items.
  3. Turn on iCloud Keychain on your other devices. They will be updated with your new iCloud Keychain.

It happened to 2 of us that did the update on the same day, so surely it is not isolated. Unless you actively look to see if a password you added or updated on one device synced over to others you would never even know that there was a problem. Thats how I discovered it. My mac was updating the keychain but when I went to a site on my phone, the new password wasn't filling in. Settings showed all was ON and operating just fine. Read a quote from Steve Woz where he says the whole cloud things scares the crap out of him. Hmmmmmm? I love Apple and the products, but I think we all need to start demanding more accountability from them

iCloud Keychain turns itself off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.