Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hidden files taking up too much space

I've got a major disk-space problem. I only have 4GB of files, yet my 160GB hard drive is full. If I add up everything (shown) on the drive, it amount to only 65GB, which means that I have close to 95GB of hidden files!

When I try to go through the hidden files, I get errors like "you do not have permission to open this folder" and such. I cannot determine the size of a lot of the folders. If I right-click and choose Get Info, it says "calculating size" and hangs forever, never actually displaying the size.

Here's what the drive looks like:

User uploaded file

Mac Mini, 2009, Mavericks

Mac mini (Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Nov 12, 2014 4:34 AM

11 replies

Nov 12, 2014 5:06 AM in response to kend0g187

The hidden folders I see are all essential OS X folders. Don't mess with anything you don't know about!

Follow this procedure to locate large files:

OS X Mavericks: Increase disk space

(especially the Locate Large files part)

Many people that have large amounts of space used have Time Machine on but no external drive connected. Time machine is then creating a snapshot of every change made to your files, waiting for you to connect an external backup drive.

Nov 12, 2014 8:56 PM in response to kend0g187

I have tried removing Time Machine Backups with sudo tmutil disablelocal. It didn't free up any space. I have tried to locate the Time Machine backup files with no success. (I looked for /.MobileBackups, I looked in the /Volumes directory, and I did a Finder search for ".MobileBackups")

I ran OmniDiskSweeper with these results:

User uploaded file

I am currently in the process of re-indexing spotlight.

Nov 14, 2014 9:05 AM in response to kend0g187

Thank you for giving us that detailed info - it sure confirms your issue! Which I've never had, BTW.

Other tools to find what's taking space:

http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

There's a possibility you will need to reinstall OS X to recover space - do you have a good backup, including Time Machine?

I believe your error means your hard drive file directory is corrupted.

Try either a Safe Boot, or restart in Recovery mode and repair the hard drive:

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? - Apple Support

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

hidden files taking up too much space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.