Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i change the phone number for the iCloud keychain verification?

Hi,

this is driving me nuts.. My Mac wants my icloud keychain to be approved by my iPhone.

But it uses an old phone number. How do i change the number? Its not in the preferences of iCloud (Account Details)!

Its not on the iPhone preferences of iCloud either.

On the Apple Website i updated my Apple ID phone numer, but that has no effect.

please help

thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Nov 12, 2014 11:40 AM

8 replies

Nov 12, 2014 3:37 PM in response to johnniecache

According to Apple's support document (Get help using iCloud Keychain - Apple Support), you change it as follows:

• In iOS 8, tap Settings > iCloud > Keychain > Advanced. In iOS 7, tap Settings > iCloud > Account > Keychain. Make sure the phone number under Verification Number is correct. If not, enter another phone number.
  • In OS X Mavericks v10.9, choose Apple () > System Preferences. Click iCloud, then click Account Details. Make sure the phone number under Verification number is correct. If not, enter another phone number.

If you can't access a device that has iCloud Keychain enabled, contact Apple Support and verify your identity to get help completing iCloud Keychain setup.

Nov 26, 2014 5:19 PM in response to johnniecache

I FINALLY RESOLVED THIS. Oh my goodness, I'm so sick of the numerous clear-cut, simple, straightforward instructions on changing your Keychain phone number that when I attempted, did not lead to the option of changing your number. It flat out isn't where various sources said it should be. I'm not exactly sure how many times I've gotten frustrated over this situation and put a lot of time into trying to figure it out, to no avail... but this time I resolved it.

So the one and only way I have finally found to edit the phone number was to tell my phone (Settings>Keychain) to reset, rather than restore. Many directions said to go to Settings>Keychain>Advanced, but this option was not visible to me until after the fact. So I turned Keychain to ON, then instead of using my security code ("Restore with Security Code") I selected "Reset iCloud Keychain". After doing so, it simply asked me for my phone number, and I entered the correct one. BAM.

I don't know if there any ramifications to resetting ("All passwords in iCloud Keychain will be replaced...and you will need to create a new Security Code"), but at least it's no longer trying to verify to an incorrect phone number that I have no option to correct.

May 29, 2015 6:29 PM in response to Mandy Kirk

Hi Mandy,

Thanks for sharing your solution. Initially, several months ago when I first read your post, your solution didn’t work for me because I misinterpreted your language. Using iOS 8, allow me to clarify:

You are not telling your iPhone to reset. In other words, you aren’t resetting your iiPhone.

However, on your iPhone, you need to:

1. Go into Settings>iCloud>Keychain, and

2. Instead of restoring the keychain, you are resetting the keychain.

One other important point: You cant just copy and paste in your phone number from your listing in Contacts without editing the number to get rid of the +1 country code. You either have to type on the keypad, or paste and edit, your United States phone number so that it appears in the form XXX XXX XXXX with no country code. Otherwise, the reset routine will throw one error after another at you.

Many thanks again. This saved me a phone call to Apple and a lot of time.

how can i change the phone number for the iCloud keychain verification?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.