Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

US Purchased Apple TV in Germany

I am moving to Germany and currently have Apple TV purchased in the US. Will it work in Germany? Does it require any different settings besides a power cord? Will I need to change my account from US based to German based and not be able to watch US movies?

Thanks

null-OTHER

Posted on Nov 12, 2014 9:50 AM

10 replies

Nov 12, 2014 10:57 AM in response to Pete71799

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Only a new cable or adaptor will be required.

Technically you should migrate your account, but as you state you probably won't be able to download some content, although you can still play it if it's on a computer.

Many don't migrate and encounter no problems, even though the terms of use don't allow it.

Nov 12, 2014 12:19 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks, that is what I figured. Are cables easily purchased?

I also posted another question regarding our iPhones, Ipads and iPad Mini's. Can I use them their with local data / cellular service. Does it matter who my carrier is here?

iPhone 4s - no longer under contract period - AT&T

iPhone 5s - no longer under contract period - Verizon

iPad2 - AT&T (no contract)

iPad Mini - not sure which carrier

Maybe you can help with these too??

Nov 12, 2014 2:01 PM in response to Pete71799

So far as cables go, you have two options.

You can purchase an adapter which are freely available but should generally only be considered as a short-term solution. The more obvious option is to buy a new cable, again you shouldn't have any problems getting one of these and are usually referred to as a figure of eight connector, obviously this is the end that connects to the Apple TV, the other end would depend upon which country you bought it in.

So far as your service provider goals, I can't be 100% sure, but I would imagine that given the information you provided you will be far better taking out new contracts with local service providers or operating on pay-as-you-go.

Nov 12, 2014 2:07 PM in response to Pete71799

Pete71799 wrote:

Thanks, that is what I figured. Are cables easily purchased?

I also posted another question regarding our iPhones, Ipads and iPad Mini's. Can I use them their with local data / cellular service. Does it matter who my carrier is here?

iPhone 4s - no longer under contract period - AT&T

iPhone 5s - no longer under contract period - Verizon

iPad2 - AT&T (no contract)

iPad Mini - not sure which carrier

Maybe you can help with these too??

I couldn't answer about the iPads, however with the iPhones, the following would apply. First, all post warranty support for the devices is only good in the US. The iPhone 4S would need to be unlocked to use in Europe. Since you have completed the contract, contact AT&T about the unlock. The Verizon 5s comes with the GSM side unlocked, but it would not support LTE in Germany. Someone else will have to answer the iPad questions. You might be better off posting in the iPad forum for answers to that, depending on where you made the post originally.

Sep 1, 2015 3:44 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

It is true that iPhones purchased through a US carrier (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc.) will probably not support all the bands in Europe, but if you buy the "unlocked" iPhone 6 or 6 Plus available directly from the Apple store (models A1586 and A1524), they are "global" models that have all the bands. They will even work in China (they're basically the phones Apple also sells to the Chinese). That's what I purchased, and it works great in Europe.

Sep 1, 2015 8:20 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris- I was merely pointing out that iPhones are available directly from Apple in North America that will work worldwide. Lots of folks do keyword searches in these forums, and if they read the previous posts in this thread, they could get the impression that it is not possible to buy an iPhone in the US that works well in Europe. When this thread was originated, these phones were not initially available even from the Apple site. They became available sometime in January 2015, which is when I bought mine. Hope this is a useful update for other folks reading this thread.

US Purchased Apple TV in Germany

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.