Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving image files - TIFF file extension wasn't acceptable

Hello! 😕

When I save an image on my iMac the default situation appears to be that the file has a TIFF file extension.

Please review the post I recently made here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/why-are-tagged-image-file-format-tiff-fil es-unacceptable-here.370185/#post-2426799

I should be grateful if someone can shed some light on my conundrum/confusion. It should be self-explanatory!

Any help will be gratefully received!

David B.

Posted on Nov 12, 2014 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2014 12:11 PM

David,

Have you looked in the Prefernces of the app that defaults to saving image files in Tiff or is this occurring across multiple apps?

3 replies

Nov 12, 2014 12:26 PM in response to HunterBD

If you are having problems with the image format of a screen capture, the format can be changed as follows:

Open your Terminal app.

Copy the line below and paste it after the prompt in Terminal and press the Return key. You will not get a response.

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg

Then, quit the terminal app, logout, log back in.

Your screenshots will now be jpegs, which should work for you.

HTH.

Nov 24, 2014 3:59 AM in response to HunterBD

Hello again 😊 So sorry for the delay in replying to folk for the helpful responses.

If one re-visits my original link one can view a response - in essence, look here:- https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090125135844AAwqjkB

After some reflection, I decided to do nothing at all! However, today I looked under 'Grab' preferences and found that there is no way to change the image format of a screen capture. BUT ..... I then looked under 'Grab Help' and found this ....

• Save screenshots: After taking a screenshot, choose File > Save, enter a name, add a tag (optional), then choose a folder. Screenshots are saved as TIFF files.
  • Convert a screenshot to another format: Open your screenshot in the Preview app. Choose File > Export, click the Format pop-up menu and choose a format, then click Save. For more information, see Convert graphics file types.

So I now know what to do if/when I need to switch to another format! 😎

Many thanks to rkaufmann87 and Frank Miller2 - your guidance is much appreciated,

David B.

Saving image files - TIFF file extension wasn't acceptable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.