Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clicking Sound and No Voice on Face Time Since Yosemite Installed

Since installing Yosemite 10.10 I tried Face Time and found it is not working properly. Here's my issues:

1. Clicking or popping sound is heard when Face Time screen appears.

2. No voice sound coming from person on other end.

3. Person on other end can hear me fine but I can't hear them.

Any other MacBook Pro users experiencing this problem???

If so, is there a "fix"?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 12, 2014 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2014 10:25 PM

Does sound output work in other applications, such as iTunes?

13 replies

Nov 13, 2014 4:36 AM in response to Harleylito

Linc - the sound in all other applications works fine. I took my computer to the Apple store in Freehold NJ last week and the Face Time feature worked ok in the store - when I brought it home it did not. On one other occasion I called a friend and it worked ok but mostly it did not. The Apple "genius" at the store never saw this problem before but judging from what I read on the support website it seems it is prevalent.

The sound works fine when I receive videos and on YouTube - problem only occurs with Face Time.

Thanx for your help

Nov 30, 2014 9:39 AM in response to Harleylito

I have de same problem. It's not the network, not my microphone, the sound in all other applications works fine and with my iphone on the same network it's fine. The problem is intermittent and it's since i have installed Yosemite.

I don't like Yosemite, very slow, anormal activity of windowserver, lots of useless things that slow down the system: such as internet search in Spotlight, window transparency ...

It looks like a beta version

I miss steve jobs...

Nov 30, 2014 7:33 PM in response to Sh@rlie

I have the same problem. I believe it started a few days ago when I unplugged a "Mini Display port to HDMI cable" from my MacBook Pro during a FaceTime call. Immediately after I unplugged the cable, I was unable able to hear the person on the other end of the call, and my computer started to make loud clicking sounds at random. During this time the video remained at full quality and the other user was still able to hear me clearly.

When I plugged my computer back into my TV, the audio started working again.

This afternoon another individual sent me a FaceTime call which I received on my MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, when I accepted the call at my desk I ran into the same problem, but this time I had no extra peripherals initially connected.

I just recently had a friend call me while I was trying to troubleshoot the problem, and found that the audio returns when I connect an external pair of speakers with a auxiliary cable.

At this point the audio seems to work fine when I set the audio output to anything but the internal speakers.

Any advice or insight? Anyone able to duplicate the results?

Clicking Sound and No Voice on Face Time Since Yosemite Installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.