Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to get up and down arrows on scroll bar

I am new to Yosemite, and i miss the up and down arrows on the scroll bar. How do I get them back?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2017 7:21 AM

This is such a brutal problem and I am sick and tired of hearing people say "just use the scroll wheel on your mouse" or "just use the arrow keys."

The scroll wheel IS NOT as precise as the arrows, and it is all herky jerky. The arrow key solution IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ALL PROGRAMS and causes problems even when it would "technically" work. For example, if your cursor is in the correct place, the down arrow will move the screen down one line in MS Word. If, however, you are halfway into a 100+ page document (as I often am) and forget that your cursor is still on page 1 (as I often do), then when you hit the down arrow you are taken all the way back to page 1, taking you completely out of your work.

The solutions offered by the "I don't get why those arrows are even necessary" people are clearly browser focused solutions that do not take business applicability into account. While a scroll wheel or arrow key solution is great for casually browsing the internet, it is not sufficient for those of us who need to use our machines and applications in a professional capacity. Whether it is a document with hundreds of pages or a photoshop project with hundreds of layers, the scrollbar arrows served an important function for millions of us.

I will admit that the trackpad on my Macbook will give me the precise scrolling that I need (at least in some programs), but it is quite annoying to jump back and forth between my wireless mouse and my trackpad. Please, please, please just bring the stupid arrows back. There are tons of people that want them and they are not going to hurt the people that think they are "useless".

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2017 7:21 AM in response to Macdaddy-corky

This is such a brutal problem and I am sick and tired of hearing people say "just use the scroll wheel on your mouse" or "just use the arrow keys."

The scroll wheel IS NOT as precise as the arrows, and it is all herky jerky. The arrow key solution IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ALL PROGRAMS and causes problems even when it would "technically" work. For example, if your cursor is in the correct place, the down arrow will move the screen down one line in MS Word. If, however, you are halfway into a 100+ page document (as I often am) and forget that your cursor is still on page 1 (as I often do), then when you hit the down arrow you are taken all the way back to page 1, taking you completely out of your work.

The solutions offered by the "I don't get why those arrows are even necessary" people are clearly browser focused solutions that do not take business applicability into account. While a scroll wheel or arrow key solution is great for casually browsing the internet, it is not sufficient for those of us who need to use our machines and applications in a professional capacity. Whether it is a document with hundreds of pages or a photoshop project with hundreds of layers, the scrollbar arrows served an important function for millions of us.

I will admit that the trackpad on my Macbook will give me the precise scrolling that I need (at least in some programs), but it is quite annoying to jump back and forth between my wireless mouse and my trackpad. Please, please, please just bring the stupid arrows back. There are tons of people that want them and they are not going to hurt the people that think they are "useless".

Sep 3, 2017 3:40 PM in response to BobHarris

Bob it is kind of you to suggest the feedback link. I'm glad BC083 posted here because I still follow this thread and am ever hopeful someone will find a 3rd party app or work around that will give us back our double arrows. As BC said they had unique functionality that is much missed!!

Nov 13, 2014 10:31 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Yes, the directional arrow are gone, presumably due to some notion that desktop computers and iPhones are similar enough to run on the same platform. In Yosemite, the arrows you see at the bottom of the scroll bar serve a search function rather than a locational one. And for the life of me, I can't figure out why I would EVER use those arrows to search/find! 😕

ETA: You probably meant "directional arrows" on the keyboard. Sorry, I was fixated on the directional arrows on the scroll bars.

how to get up and down arrows on scroll bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.