Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't send voice memos?

Keep getting the message when trying to share a voice memo: Preparing Failed. 'Name' is being optimized for sharing at this time.

I can listen to it myself when I press the play button, but I am trying to send me singing to someone and that's the message that I am getting. It's really important for this person to get it.

Could someone please help me out here?

Thanks 🙂

Oh now I can send it, via text message like I used to with my iphone 4s (I'm using an iphone 5s now) but when it goes to the messages screen, I type in the name of the person, and select them, but there is nothing in the actual text message box where the text would go. No attachment to it. Nothing. Argh! This is so frustrating.

HELP!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 7:40 AM

24 replies

Feb 5, 2015 8:46 PM in response to Empress Rose

SOLVED! Back up the ipod/iphone Use this software http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4974to find your backup then go into the folder marked iOS content or (something like that, there's only one) and extract that part of your backup. Look throught hte voice memos and go into the packet you'll find the flaccid waveform and separate BEAUTIFUL .m4a file with some random number sequence that will make you very happy. All will have the date you extracted so you may have to open folder after folder before you find the gem youre looking for but best of luck its not too time consuming they are sort of chronological anyhow. IM SO PSYCHED!

Jul 1, 2015 3:06 PM in response to Empress Rose

I just found a really easy fix to this problem. I encountered the "preparing failed" problem where I couldn't send out my voice memo. The problem seems to occur when your phone dies or the app crashes (closes unexpectedly on its own) amidst recording. Anyway, if you can "Edit" the voice memo or somehow go about pressing that big red record button and add even a second of silence onto the file at hand, you can salvage it and the "send" option will become available to you! Let me know if this helps anybody, it was a huge relief to me!

Mar 28, 2016 9:53 AM in response to Empress Rose

Be careful, I just used Chuck's "fix" and erased my whole long conversation. I even tried out the "edit" technique on another, unimportant voice recording, and editing it I was able to add that moment of silence at the end. Then, when I did the same thing with my important voice recording -- went to the end hit "record" I erased the whole thing. Maybe I forgot to hit "edit" first -- not saying it wasn't my own stupidity -- just saying be careful, don't skip any steps.

I'm so bummed!!

I can't send voice memos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.