Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 Makes a "POP" Sound?

Ever so often my iPad Air 2 will make a "pop" sound when I am using it. I just received it via Online Store called Apple support they suggested replacing at the nearest Apple Store. I did, open the box turned it on and just as I was setting up email there was another PoP sound and I could feel it towards the middle left side. There does not seem to have any impact to my device but it sure does not feel or sound right. I have every device Apple has put out and this is the first time this has happened to two iPad Air 2... Any one with the same issue or any ideas as to what it is?

iPad Air, iOS 8.1, iPad Air 2

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 8:01 AM

13 replies

Nov 13, 2014 10:22 AM in response to NOYB234

there are numerous threads regarding this. it would be helpful to keep this issue all in one place for tracking ALL users with same problem. please post in one of those other threads. i have same issue...

thank you!

Re: iPad air 2 pop noise

why does my iPad Air 2 make loud pop noise randomly, when touching the screen, closing smart case cover, placing cursor in input text field?

Nov 14, 2014 11:18 AM in response to corneredcat

I Did post and i returned my iPad and the third one was fine. In fact i just received a call from AppleCare expressing their concern. Apple doesnt monitor these as you would think but they do monitor the number of returns and AppleCare. In addition they monitor the feed back emails. They do not monitor all the random posts in their community webservice. It is written in the terms and conditions so for action replacing and going to the iPad feed back email is the best thing to do.

Nov 14, 2014 3:56 PM in response to corneredcat

IT is kinda hit and miss as far as the iPads go. I believe i was lucky. I am waiting on replacing my other three iPad Air 2's. I have not opened those yet due to the consistant complaint regarding the popping noise. Since i am a business member and I have several iPads, I think i am going to send them back, keep the two for my kids for college. I do believe this is a hardware issue and apple will make the corrections as you suggested. Good luck.

May 12, 2015 10:32 AM in response to Briansyddall

My ipad air 2 bought from Nov 2014 after 2 months has the same issue, and have been replace another one for me on Jan 2015, but after 3 months of using, the replacement also has the same 'pop' sound too! I take it back to the Apple store explain to them, and I will like to upgrade to 64gb and pay the difference.

Store manager willing give me special let me upgrade because of Mother's day, but after he said, because the ipad air 2 is not bought from the Apple store (I bought from Walmart). He then said "sorry" cannot exchange or upgrade even still within 1 yr warranty. Now I am stuck with the "factory defected" 2014 Ipad air 2, what can I do?

May 12, 2015 10:37 AM in response to drmhnyunt

I bought an iPad air 2 (16gb wifi ) from Walmart in Nov. 2014. The speaker started having a 'popping sound' after 2 months while I'm using it. I brought it back to the Apple Store on Jan 2015 to explain the issue. They reset it to factory default and asked me to try using it again. If the issues were still there, they told me to bring back to them and they would replace it for a new one. After 3 more weeks, the 'popping' sound came back, so I brought back to the store and got my replacement. Again, the 'popping' sound happened after about 1 month from the replacement iPad 2, just not as bad as the original iPad. Last week I brought it to the Apple Store to explain the same issue (found out that before the other Apple store listed it as giving me a 64gb instead of 16gb), and said if I cannot replicate them the 'popping' sound in store, they cannot replace for me again or do anything about it. The problem is the 'popping' sound can happen at any time during the day while I am using it, so how can I show them at the store at that moment. I said I'd rather upgrade to the 64gb and was willing to pay the difference because I think maybe all 16gb iPad air 2 have the same issue. But was told that my iPad air 2 is too new it's not eligible for the Trade-in Program until a new iPad Air model is out on the market. By then my 1 yr. warranty will expire and my iPad 2 will only be worth $250 or less. At most, they'll offer half of the original price even if the device is barely used.

Store manager notice my original ipad air 2 is bought from Walmart, he then said no more replacement or upgrade.

iPad Air 2 Makes a "POP" Sound?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.