Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete duplicates in 5 minutes, any version

Do you want a magic wand? Read this entirely before you start using my magic wand: Open your music folder, select iTunes, then iTunes Media folder, then Music folder there. Open each artist folder and copy the song files only to another folder of your choosing elsewhere on your computer, do this one artist at a time or you can get windows to do it, but you can look how to do that up. You need to have all music in ONE FOLDER, no sub-folders, you can use several methods but the quickest is to open a fold press control A then control c and then with the destination for the copies opened already press control V. These commands are select all, copy, and paste respectively. I would move the files since it can cause administrator privilege problems. Once all music is in another folder with no sub-folders, just the music files press control F to open find. type in (1).mp3 or (1).m4a or whichever file extension the music is (there are 8: .mp3 , .m4a , .m4v , .wma are the main ones. Anyway, once you type in (1).m4a all duplicates will be highlighted. Hit delete.

Congratulations. You have now deleted every duplicate are in the library. Every single one, because windows add (#). to any duplicate file o any kind in windows. ANYTHING. The number depends on how many duplicates have been added, for example (1).m4a (2).m4a (3).m4a....etc. You can do this for every file extension type, such as (1).mp3 then (1)m4a to be safe or you can just type (1). by itself and get all fill types. I don't recommend because it can accidentally delete things you don't want to. The best way is to hit control F then enter (1).m which will select all the music files with the exception of windows media music which is .wma. For all duplicates i would search for number (1) (2) and (3). If you have more than three duplicates you can connect the dots on how to find the rest.

Any how, then go back to iTunes, select all songs, (control A) hit delete and move to recycle bin. I would delete from cloud too, but that's up to you. I do this because i have iTunes match and it will automatically add to iCloud when i hit update iTunes match. MAKE SURE THAT IN PREFERENCES UNDER the EDIT menu list on the menu bar, you have set iTunes to auto organize your library and auto copy files to the iTunes library before you add the files back. Click menu, add file, then select all the files in whatever folder you copied the music to, don't just add folder because it can create errors. Use the add file then open the folder and press control A to select all then enter.

You are done. No duplicates, no program needed, no spyware or malware or any other crap. Simply put, this whole process takes about 10 minutes, maybe 15 on a reasonably fast machine. It depends on your hard type, chipset speed, processor, and how big your library is. I did it using a 6 core 3.8 ghz 64bit system to a 750gb solid state drive @ 3.0gbs sata setting. It took about 6 minutes total. One last thing, if you have previously deleted the ORIGINAL file then you will delete your current copy because it will be the duplicate not the original, easy way to prevent is to save the file you original copied the music files only to as a back up on another hard drive or server or another folder, just to be safe.

Problem solved.

iPhone 5, Windows 8, windows 8.1, not listed apparently

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 9:56 AM

1 reply

Nov 13, 2014 10:24 AM in response to Apr182

Manually moving 100s or 1000s of folders worth of tracks to a common location is hardly going to take 5 minutes, though if your library is small enough it may have suited you. Deleting and reimporting media from the library loses ratings, play counts, playlist membership etc. When iTunes adds a new track whose properties would normally mean that it occupies the same location as an existing file it adds a trailing space and a digit. When Windows Explorer is used to merge folders and files have the same names it may offer to add (1) (2) etc. rather than replace but that should be an option.

If the library has no duplicates, but the folder does, simply add the media folder to the library and then dedupe by sorting on Date Added as shown below. For anything more complex I would recommend using my script for best results.

Apple's official advice on duplicates is here... HT2905: How to find and remove duplicate items in your iTunes library. It is a manual process and the article fails to explain some of the potential pitfalls such as lost ratings and playlist membership.

Use Shift > View > Show Exact Duplicate Items to display duplicates as this is normally a more useful selection. You need to manually select all but one of each group to remove. Sorting the list by Date Added may make it easier to select the appropriate tracks, however this works best when performed immediately after the dupes have been created. If you have multiple entries in iTunes connected to the same file on the hard drive then don't send to the recycle bin.

Use my DeDuper script if you're not sure, don't want to do it by hand, or want to preserve ratings, play counts and playlist membership. See this thread for background, this post for detailed instructions, and please take note of the warning

to backup your library before deduping.

(If you don't see the menu bar press ALT to show it temporarily or CTRL+B to keep it displayed.)

The most recent version of the script can tidy dead links as long as there is at least one live duplicate to merge stats and playlist membership to and should cope sensibly when the same file has been added via multiple paths.

tt2

How to delete duplicates in 5 minutes, any version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.