Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drain on MBA 2013

Hello guys,

I upgraded to Yosemite a while ago and the battery drained incredibly faster. The battery could only last for 4 hours or so. But before that, the battery life was around 14 hours on Mavericks. So I decided to downgrade it to Mavericks a week later. However, the battery issue was still there. Now it is around 5 hours, which is significantly lower than it used to be (14 hours). I have done some research and it looks like calibrating the battery would better its performance. Would it actually help? It's just frustrating that the battery does no longer last. Any other thoughts? How do you guys deal with the battery issue? Thanks.

PS. I use Safari instead of Chrome. I used to use chrome and it never had an issue.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 9:56 AM

16 replies

Nov 13, 2014 4:32 PM in response to brychole

The purpose of calibration, for those MBPs that require it, only sets the display parameters to correctly reflect the batteries status. It has nothing to do with the batteries performance and only adds an additional and unnecessary cycle.

It may be in your interest to make an Apple store genius bar appointment. The evaluation will be FREE.

Ciao.

Nov 13, 2014 5:45 PM in response to brychole

1. Check the cycle count of the battery against the rated life for your model. The battery may be due for replacement. If the power adapter is connected almost all the time, the battery may need replacing even though the cycle count is not too high.

2. Follow these instructions, or thesefor OS X 10.8 or earlier.

3. In the Energy Saver preference pane, uncheck the box marked

Enable Power Nap while on battery power

if it's shown (it may not be.)

Nov 13, 2014 6:46 PM in response to Linc Davis

I have "Battery Health" on my Mac and it says the battery is 89% healthy with 218 cycles. And Power Nap is off. Like I said, the battery issue started after I upgraded to Yosemite. I honestly don't think it's a hardware issue. It's likely a software issue as there are a decent amount of users having the same problem. I've booked an appointment with the Genius tomorrow noon and will see what happens.Thanks, guys.

Nov 13, 2014 8:31 PM in response to Linc Davis

It's not like constantly 15%... like when I'm checking it, sometimes WIndowServer uses 15% but it could drop to 0.2 in just one sec. You can't expect all apps use CPU like below 5%, right? I'm trying to say I am not using any apps that constantly use up my CPU... I use my laptop as what I used to do and the battery just drops significantly faster. When it's fully charged, it doesn't even say it would have 10 hours remaining, likely it would have 6 hours or less remaining. But it was like 14 hours before this.

Battery drain on MBA 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.