Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone know how to set up cache folder redirect using Profile Manager instead of WGM/MCX?

Yosemite 10.10 Clients and 10.10 Server 4 server.

Does anyone know how to set up the cache folder redirect to the local drive rather than the network user home using Profile Manager?

In the past it was set up using WGM and MCX.

It can still be done using WGM and MCX but all of our other settings are from Profile Manager so I'd like to keep it consistent.

Thanks

OS X Server

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 10:42 AM

7 replies

Mar 23, 2015 3:57 AM in response to Erich Wetzel

Hi I have a similar issue in that since I upgraded to 10.10 the folder redirections set up on 300 clients iMacs using WGM seems to have stopped working. This has led to a massive increase in inbound data traffic(I presume) to the server and it is maxing out the link at times with 110MB or the full 1Gb link. I never had this problem as all the clients fully logged in nowhere near had this traffic in or out of the server.

WGM actually still opens up in 10.10 if you copy the folder from an older 10.9.5 mac but I don't really know what and which settings are still in force. I have also an ongoing issue in that we can't get the iMacs to Enroll via Profile Manager or install profiles which suddenly stopped working(flagged to apple Bug Reporter) any more so the transition is in limbo until something is fixed for us.

I have seen other posts in which you tried out the Profile manager to use the MCX redirect plist(great suggestion by the way) but I am stuck in two systems both of which aren't functioning now.

Mar 24, 2015 3:14 AM in response to Erich Wetzel

To setup up folder redirection in Profile Manager you need to use the 'Custom Settings' profile. The name of the preference domain i.e. the plist needs to be exactly com.apple.MCXRedirector

You can in theory either add and set the relevant keys using the 'Add item' button or most people write a plist file and upload it. The plist file which for simplicity you should name com.apple.MCXRedirector.plist should contain the following.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
  <key>LoginRedirection</key>
  <array>
  <dict>
  <key>action</key>
  <string>renameAndCreateSymLink</string>
  <key>destPath</key>
  <string>/tmp/%@/Library/Caches</string>
  <key>path</key>
  <string>~/Library/Caches</string>
  </dict>
  <dict>
  <key>LogoutRedirection</key>
  <array>
  <dict>
  <key>action</key>
  <string>deleteSymLinkAndRestore</string>
  <key>destPath</key>
  <string>/tmp/%@/Library/Caches</string>
  <key>path</key>
  <string>~/Library/Caches</string>
  </dict>
  </array>
</dict>
</plist>

I use a device group to apply this profile to a group of Macs.

Mar 24, 2015 8:00 AM in response to John Lockwood

John,

A similar solution was found here: Network Home Folder Redirection with Profile Manager?

I forgot about this one being open, but if you are familiar with how this is actually working, can you think of a reason why I can get one group to create and redirect to the local cache but not another? The second group creates the redirect location as in your profile but does not put anything in it.

I applied the profile to two groups separately but with the exact same settings. Do you think that applying to machines instead of users would solve it?

Thanks

Mar 24, 2015 11:08 AM in response to Erich Wetzel

I finally managed to find the correct reference.

Apple these days only talk about the use of LoginHooks and LogoutHooks in so far as to say that their use is deprecated and that they instead recommend a user LaunchAgent instead of a LoginHook. Unfortunately not only is there no equivalent mechanism for a LogoutHook there are also important technical differences in how they work. A LoginHook or LogoutHook runs as root and can therefore do things a user LaunchAgent cannot.

Anyway, the original and now somewhat obsolete documentation I was looking for is the Mac OS X 10.6 Server documentation, in it, it states that LoginHooks can be applied to a specific computer or a computer group. By omission it clearly implies that it cannot be applied to a user or a user group, this certainly matches my memory and belief.

Therefore you are 'holding it wrong'. 😉 You will have to use a device group instead.

PS. A individual user LaunchAgent is stored in a users home directory in ~/Library/LaunchAgents a computer wide LaunchAgent would be in /Library/LaunchAgents and would apply to any user logging in on that computer.

Mar 27, 2015 7:20 PM in response to John Lockwood

John

I applied the redirection to our single computer device group and removed it from the two user groups in Profile Manager. Reboot of client machines happened several times. I am finding that one group is getting the redirect. Another group is not. Neither group has any authority over the client machine. The /tmp location is read + write for all.

The redirect folder is being created by all users. It is just not being used by one of the groups.

Any ideas?

Apr 1, 2015 5:42 AM in response to Erich Wetzel

As mentioned I am not currently using any per user or group profiles, only device group profiles.

As you probably have already done so I would make sure all the computers are a member of the relevant device group. To check this is being applied to each computer log in to a computer as a user that is a member or the first user group, and then a different user that is a member of the second user group. If the setting is applied with at least one then it suggests that the device group setting is being applied correctly.

What maybe happening is a setting in the second user group is overriding it. You might want to remove any Custom profile from that second group. (Or both.)

Oops, may have got two things confused here, I have recently been doing myself both cache folder redirects and LoginHooks. While LoginHooks definitely need to be done via an individual device or a device group this may not be necessary for a folder redirect. I still think it would be safer to do via a device group and I know that is working for me. I have some computers in a device group which I know lists all the computers being used for network logins and hence needing the cache folder redirect, and I have some different computers in a different device group which I know will not be used for network logins. This second group of computers is only used for portable home directories i.e. not network ones.

Anyone know how to set up cache folder redirect using Profile Manager instead of WGM/MCX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.