Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am running 10.7.5 on an imac and I want to upgrade to Yosemite but I have no app store on my computer. Is there a way I can get the app store on my imac?

I am running 10.7.5 on an imac and I want to upgrade to Yosemite but I have no app store on my computer. Is there a way I can get the app store on my imac?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 6:50 PM

14 replies

Nov 13, 2014 6:53 PM in response to fiona176

Hi ..

If your Mac is running Lion v10.7, the App Store must be there unless it was deleted accidentally.

Check your Applications folder or click the magnifying glass icon top right in your screen.

Type: App Store in the search field.

Mac Basics: Spotlight

Makre sure your Mac meets Yosemite's requirements > Apple - OS X Yosemite - How to Upgrade

Nov 13, 2014 6:57 PM in response to fiona176

If you don't have it then you will have to reinstall Lion:

Reinstall Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite without erasing drive

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported then click on the Repair Permissions button. When the process is completed, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks,or Yosemite

OS X Yosemite- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mavericks- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mountain Lion- Reinstall OS X

OS X Lion- Reinstall Mac OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it isthree times faster than wireless.

Then you can download and install Yosemite if your computer meets the system requirements:

Upgrading to Yosemite

You can upgrade to Yosemite from Lion or directly from Snow Leopard. Yosemite can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for FREE.

Upgrading to Yosemite

To upgrade to Yosemite you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Download Yosemite from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Yosemite is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mavericks/Yosemite - System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Yosemite

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Nov 14, 2014 8:08 AM in response to danielfromrandolph

Really. If you actually follow your own instructions, you will wind up with this window:

User uploaded file

This will force you to open the app store application - which is what the OP does not have.

As I said, the only way to obtain any OS is through the app store. It is set up this way by design because every download is tethered to your Apple ID and password (according to the licensing agreement), so there is only one way to obtain them.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.