Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Erase Free Space' on Yosemite getting 'Couldn't create temporary file' error.

I'm trying to use the 'Erase Free Space' on Yosemite, but keep getting 'Couldn't create temporary file' error. Never had issue before on this computer performing same activity, although on a previous OS version.

I do have 2 drives: 250GB SSD (where OS is installed) and 1.5TD HD. I'm trying to erase the free space on the HD. Plenty of free space on both drives (140GB+) on the SSD.

Any help appreciated.

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 8:05 PM

10 replies

Apr 25, 2015 10:54 AM in response to J40NYC

I also cannot use disk utility to secure erase free space. The error message says the system "couldn't create temporary file." I saw another problem entry similar to this with a response to securely erase the whole volume and restore from the backup. While this might work, it doesn't answer why this error is happening, and it is something of a 'nuclear option'. Is there a better solution that solves the issue?

Yosemite 10.10.3

iMac (24-in, early 2009)

3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB RAM

640 GB WDC WD6400AAKS-40H2B0 Media fixed disk

Jun 19, 2015 8:58 PM in response to ddevries

This was happening to me also when trying to "erase free space" while logged into the operating system. You need to shut your computer down, then hold/press command + r while the computer is loading before it gets to the desktop. This will take you to the recovery console. From there you run the disk utility and choose erase free space and it will work without the error.

Jul 6, 2015 11:32 AM in response to papadonkey

I do have a SSD.

I did finally get my free space erased. I found also that I could not verify/repair permissions or verify/repair the drive. I don't know what finally made it work. I went into recovery mode two different times and verified & repaired the drive (no problems were found in any of these processes). Then I restarted and was able to repair permissions then erase the free space.

Jul 6, 2015 12:21 PM in response to Badunit

It an Apple Support Article OS X: About Disk Utility's erase free space feature - Apple Support it says "Note: With an SSD drive, Secure Erase and Erasing Free Space are not available in Disk Utility. These options are not needed for an SSD drive because a standard erase makes it difficult to recover data from an SSD."

Heres some more info about erasing an SSD drive. http://osxdaily.com/2013/04/22/secure-erase-mac-ssd-drive-recovery-mode/

Jul 6, 2015 12:25 PM in response to Badunit

Thanks Badunit and Papadonkey. I am afraid of going into recovery mode and never coming out again! Can you tell me, when you boot up the recovery console, do you automatically see the Disk Utility or do I have to issue some command to get to it? And, when I am all done erasing my free space (assuming it works), how do I exit the recovery console? Thx!

'Erase Free Space' on Yosemite getting 'Couldn't create temporary file' error.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.