Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't burn m4p songs to audio cd

I used to be able to burn m4p songs to an audio CD in iTunes.

This does not seem to work anymore.

If I create a playlist with my m4p songs then burn it to an Audio CD, nothing happens. If I add a few mp3 files to the playlist and burn it, only the mp3 files get placed in the audio CD.

I'd like to burn my songs to CD and be able to play it in my car's CD player.

When did this feature go away? And is there a way to do this now?

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 8:20 PM

24 replies

Nov 14, 2014 7:16 AM in response to Chris CA

Have you tried it using a protected M4P file?

I just tried it several times. If the playlist has only protected M4P files no burning happens. If the playlist contains some non protected files, only the non-protected files will be burned and the protected files ignored.

So the feature to burn is there, but support for burning m4p files seems to have been removed.

Nov 14, 2014 6:55 PM in response to EA

EA wrote:

Yes, the files play OK on both computers that I tried to burn them on. Both computers are authorized.

If the authorization is correct, and re-installing iTunes didn't help, and you even tried on multiple computers, I am not sure what would work.

If you have a lot of them, it may be worth getting iTunes match to upgrade them.

Dec 11, 2014 3:39 PM in response to David Hieber

David Hieber wrote:

I also have not been able to burn a CD of my 2003 purchased files. I thought there was supposed to be an option to make each song DRM free for like 0.30¢ a song?

The program to upgrade tracks for 30 cents apiece was discontinued in 2012. Now the official way to upgrade is via iTunes Match. See the document iTunes Store: iTunes Plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and check the section on "Can I upgrade my previously purchased music to iTunes Plus?"

Dec 13, 2014 2:53 PM in response to EA

I've been having the same problem. (iTunes 12.0.1.26. Late 2008 iMac OS 10.10.1) After a little playing around with sorting, I notice that I have some purchased songs that, for whatever reason, do not have a Purchase Date shown in the meta data. All songs in my library were purchased with the same Apple ID and all are playable on my current machine. But, it will not burn to CD any songs without the Purchase Date. A mixed playlist will skip the songs without a Purchase Date. Weird. I don't know why some of my songs don't have a Purchase Date. I may have to open a ticket to get that part straightened out as they all were purchased by me from the iTunes store with my Apple ID. I'll also check my purchases and see if these are re-downloadable. I don't use iTunes Match.

Just wondering if others who are having this issue can confirm as to whether or not the lack of Purchase Date is a factor.

Dec 14, 2014 4:01 PM in response to RareWaves

As an update to my previous post, I took one of the playlists with both songs with a purchase date and songs without. All of the songs were .m4p files. iTunes only burned the songs with a purchase date. Some of these songs were from 2003, some were from 2006. I then deleted 3 of the songs without a purchase date, re-downloaded them, and put the re-downloaded songs back in the playlist. They now had the current date as the purchase date. iTunes burned those along with the others with a purchase date, but still skipped the ones without a purchase date. I have purchase dates dating back to June, 2003, but as I sorted them, I found over 1600 protected files without purchase dates (out of 2700). I know they burned before because I have some playlists that contained some of these songs that were burned previously. I also know from some printouts I made several years ago that many of these songs had purchase dates. It's as though the database corrupted and the purchase dates went missing; now they won't burn without them. I did open a ticket regarding the missing purchase dates. We'll see what happens. I realize that I could delete and re-download most of the songs (some are no longer available in the store), but I'd have to annotate my playlists first, then delete, re-download, then re-populate the playlists. WAY too much work.

Dec 19, 2014 12:06 PM in response to RareWaves

Same frustrating issue here. Songs I've bought and paid for long ago now cannot be used how I wish to. Can't burn them to a CD even though I have before, not in the same playlist. I do not wish to purchase iTunes Match just so I can delete and re-download (hopefully) a bunch of songs to be able to use them the same way I have enjoyed them for many years. I guess this is just a complaint because it seems doubtful there is any way around this issue. At least it is verification that the OP and others are not alone in our dilemma.

I have bought and used Apple computers and products since 1985 and really appreciate most everything the company has done over the many years. However, I'm not a fanboy and will speak up when there is good reason to. It is difficult to fathom why usage of my property (songs) purchased in good faith long ago from Apple is now being restricted beyond original usage unless I make another purchase and spend a bunch of time implementing a kludge workaround. This is ridiculous and makes me less likely to make any additional purchases through iTunes.

can't burn m4p songs to audio cd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.