Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot change phone number in the iMessage and FaceTime

Hi - I have tried many times change the phone number in the FaceTime and iMessage, but nothing work it's appear the wrong phone number. the strange thing was when i sign in my AppleID the phone number appear correctly but when I press continue then it appear to be old wrong number again. Anyone has any idea? please help

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 7:03 AM

Hey! So I Had The Exact Same Problem, But I Called Up Apple Support & We Solved It! For Example The Number I Wanted To Appear Was An 02 Number. For The Activation To Go Through I Had To Have Credit, Which The Supporter Advised Me To Get (In Order For The Activation To Go Through, They May Charge). So I Topped Up, Switched The iMessage Setting On & Off And The Number I Wanted To Use Appeared! Hope It Helps.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2017 7:03 AM in response to chandraboth

Hey! So I Had The Exact Same Problem, But I Called Up Apple Support & We Solved It! For Example The Number I Wanted To Appear Was An 02 Number. For The Activation To Go Through I Had To Have Credit, Which The Supporter Advised Me To Get (In Order For The Activation To Go Through, They May Charge). So I Topped Up, Switched The iMessage Setting On & Off And The Number I Wanted To Use Appeared! Hope It Helps.

Jan 25, 2017 4:49 PM in response to F.Ang3l

Not sure what credit you are referring to, but I have a monthly plan, so credit has nothing to do with it. The sim card for my new iphone came from a provider that supplied a phone number on it. I then had to call using that number to port my old number onto the phone. Issue is that I cannot delete the "original" number that is not active.

Feb 7, 2017 2:38 AM in response to chandraboth

Hi, I had a new SIM card in iPhone SE. The phone would make and receive calls send but not receive texts. iMessages would go from e-mail address, but not the phone number. iMessage would not activate and when I looked on 'send and receive' the number showing was an old number. I tried many things, recreated an Apple ID with a different e-mail and changed App Store and iTunes to the new ID, tried all of the suggestions on the forums to no avail. So having spent 8 - 10 hours to fix the problem I visited my Service Provider (EE). They refreshed the network settings (was there less than 10 minutes given I had tried everything else including a network setting reset on the phone - flattened it twice and tried setting it up as a new phone). Anyway this fixed it, once normal SMS texts were arriving I turned iMessage and FaceTime off. Rebooted the phone ad switched iMessage and FaceTime back on and the correct number displayed.

All now working as it should.

Hope this helps.

Jun 8, 2017 8:26 AM in response to Defender705

Hi Defender705, I have been battling this exact same issue for a week and between Apple and my carrier no one seems to know how to fix it. When you say you contacted your "Service Provider (EE)" are you referring to your carrier? example I am in Canada and my carrier is Bell. and What exactly did they do...So I can get them to try it for mine. Currently my SIM shows the correct # ending 0089 and my phone shows 0098 and no one can change it, we've tried EVERYTHING...between both apple and Bell.

Any help or suggestion are greatly apperciated

Jul 8, 2017 3:58 AM in response to chandraboth

Fixed!

I had the exact same problem - even tried putting in the SIM card in another iPhone and still no luck. What I did:

settings -> messages -> iMessage log out with your icloud account -> turn off imessage

settings -> messages -> facetime log out with your icloud account -> turn off FaceTime

settings -> general -> reset -> Reset network settings

Turn on iMessage and Facetime and wait for them to activate (your phone number should apper after a while - I noticed mine the next day.) When you see your number you can log into your iCloud account, and it should work.

Aug 20, 2017 7:14 PM in response to chandraboth

I have not been able to change my old number (US sim) from the states to the new number I have overseas (Vodafone sim). I'm wondering if because I didn't solve this issue or deactivatewhile in the states that I'm trapped with the old number (US sim) because when I put it in the phone it doesn't see it here. If I use the new Sim card it only sees the old number. Very surprised that Apple support has not resolved this issue.

Nov 16, 2014 6:20 AM in response to chandraboth

Hey there Chandra,

If your information keeps reverting to your oold phone number when you are trying to setup iMessage on your phone with a new number, the software may need to be reset. Lets start by quitting all the running apps on the device.

iOS: Force an app to close

Double-click the Home button.

Swipe left or right until you have located the app you wish to close.

Swipe the app up to close it.

When you have done that restart the device and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

Nov 17, 2014 7:50 AM in response to chandraboth

Thank you for the update. Next I would sign out of iMessage and Facetime on your phone:

iOS and OS X: Link your phone number and Apple ID for use with FaceTime and iMessage - Apple Support

On iOS devices, find out which addresses are enabled with FaceTime and iMessage by tapping:

• Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You can be reached by iMessage at:
  • Settings > FaceTime > You can be reached by FaceTime at:

Then backup and restore your phone with this article to reinstall the iOS back to it and verify that works after a restore.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

Dec 11, 2014 6:43 AM in response to sterling r

I tried that . No success. The number to access Messages and FaceTime, is greyed out and wrong.

The phone number is from an old SIM, now used in my wife's iPhone.

My Number, in Contacts has been, at times, blank or my landline.

I just launched Contacts and My Number was correct, then it disappeared. Re-appeared on a re-launch.

I have tried the turn off, Messages and Face Time, restarted, turned on M and FT, and the activation never worked.

BTW, my Apple ID has reverted to my second email in one location, and the original in another. I cannot eliminate or change the second email.

I did a restore in iTunes, but did the Restore from Backup, which I think copied the wrong settings back to my iPhone. I did not want to lose my pictures. Would a New Restore work better?

cannot change phone number in the iMessage and FaceTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.