Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to sort bookmarks in safari?

After decades with Safari there is still no natural way to sort bookmarks. How can bookmarks be edited within Safari to sort them? One would think that by the time Yosemite came out, some brilliant Apple developer would discover the need to do a simple sort.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Nov 14, 2014 1:52 AM

25 replies

Jul 22, 2017 6:00 AM in response to ZeeZeeQs72

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner.

Feedback

For those running Snow Leopard OS or later versions of OS X there is SafariSort:

http://www.safarisort.com/

SafariStand for Sierra

Apr 21, 2017 11:41 AM in response to DrJeff_92677

I don't know if it's the same with Mac, but with Windows, when you transfer bookmarks over (to IE, Firefox, Chrome), no date info is preserved. If you're like me, you want to be able to sort by *when* you visited each page. That way you can recreate your train of thought and easily group together related bookmarks to find what you're looking for, or organize your research. It seems Apple either doesn't preserve the last visited or modified date for bookmarks, or that info is lost or overwritten when you sync with iCloud.

Please Apple, fix this.

PS because of this, I switched to Google Chrome for iOS for a while which syncs bookmarks and open tabs with Chrome on your conputer (even Windows). However, since iOS 10, Chrome crashes and freezes so much on the iPhone as to be totally useless, even with all the latest updates. I've just about had it with Google & Apple refusing to work together.

Jul 22, 2017 5:36 AM in response to cahleta

You can add a new bookmark on your Mac easily enough, but to alphabetize, it's inexplicably difficult. Solution: add the new bookmark in Mac and then alphabetize in Safari on the iPhone. Here's how:

1 - Open Safari on your iPhone and click the Bookmarks icon (looks like an open book on the bottom left)

2 - Choose the folder where you've saved the newly-created bookmark and click Edit (bottom left)

3 - Using the icon appearing to the far right of the bookmark you want alphabetized (looks like three short lines on top of each other), drag it so that appears in the order you desire.

4 - Click Done (bottom right) and then click the next "Done" option at the top right of the screen.

If your Mac and iPhone are linked via iCloud, bookmarks alphabetized on the iPhone will be alphabetized in Safari on the Mac. You can also just add the new bookmark and alphabetize in Safari instead of first adding the bookmark on the Mac. Again, changes on one device will appear on the other if they're linked via iCloud. This also works for folders you want alphabetized.

Dear Apple: Please make alphabetizing on the Mac as easy as it is on the iPhone. At the very least, please don't change how easy it is on the iPhone. 🙂

Nov 14, 2014 3:31 AM in response to cahleta

Hi ..

If you click Help from the Safari menu bar then click Safari Help then type Bookmarks in the search field on the right you should see the following:

Use bookmarks

Bookmark your favorite webpages so you can quickly revisit them.

Open Safari for me

User uploaded file

• See all your bookmarks in the sidebar: Click the Sidebar button User uploaded file in the toolbar, then click the Bookmarks button User uploaded file. Or, choose Bookmarks > Show Bookmarks.
  • Add a bookmark for the current webpage: Click the Share button User uploaded file in the toolbar, choose Add Bookmark, then choose a Bookmarks folder. Or, move the pointer over the address and search field, press and hold the One-Step Add button User uploaded file that appears at the left end of the field, then choose a bookmarks folder from the list.
  • Visit a bookmarked page: Click it in the sidebar or choose it from the Bookmarks menu.
  • Search for a bookmark: Enter text in the search field at the top of the sidebar. You may have to scroll up to reveal the search field.
  • Manage bookmarks in the sidebar: Show the bookmarks sidebar (see above), then do any of the following:
    • Add a new bookmarks folder: Control-click a bookmark in the sidebar, then choose New Folder from the shortcut menu.
    • Rearrange and copy bookmarks and folders: Drag a bookmark or folder to a new location. To copy a bookmark, Option-drag it.
    • Edit a bookmark or folder name: Control-click it, then choose Rename from the shortcut menu. Or, press and hold the name until it’s highlighted, then enter a new one.
    • Remove a bookmark: Command (⌘)-click bookmarks in the sidebar to select them, then press Delete. Or, press and hold the bookmark’s name until it’s highlighted, then click the Remove button User uploaded file to the right of the name.
  • Edit bookmarks in bookmarks view: Click Edit at the bottom of the bookmarks sidebar, or choose Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks.
    • Add a bookmarks folder: Click New Folder. Or, select one or more bookmarks, then Option-click New Folder to create a folder that contains the selected bookmarks.
    • Rearrange and copy bookmarks: Drag a bookmark or folder to another location. To copy a bookmark, hold down the Option key while you drag it.
    • Edit a bookmark or folder name: Select a bookmark or folder, then press Enter.
    • Remove bookmarks: Select bookmarks, then press Delete.
  • Use the Favorites bar: If you show the Favorites bar (choose View > Show Favorites Bar), you can do the following in it:User uploaded file
    • Visit a bookmarked page: Click it in the Favorites bar.
    • Add a bookmark for the current page: Click the address and search field to show the page’s full address and its icon (or favicon), then drag the icon to the Favorites bar.
    • Rearrange bookmarks and folders: Drag a bookmark or folder to another location.
    • Edit a bookmark or folder name: Control-click the bookmark or folder in the Favorites bar, then choose Rename from the shortcut menu. Or, press and hold the name until it’s highlighted, then enter a new one.
    • Remove a bookmark: Drag it out of the Favorites bar.

Nov 24, 2014 7:53 PM in response to cahleta

cahleta --

Ludicrous barely covers it! It is, in fact, insulting to the user. I use two somewhat different social bookmarking services for the vast majority of my bookmarks (5,000+, mostly business oriented). However, the few extra steps required to search by tag or keyword make quick access to URLs via these services less snappy than desired; thus I bookmark certain sites in Safari for rapid access. That works. However, the maintenance of that collection of bookmarks, which I would like to be shown alphabetically, is a real pain. Even our friends in Redmond allow, at least in Outlook (I run Outlook 2013 in a Win7 virtual machine under Fusion on my rMBP) an ability to sort, by folder: Select folder, right click, select "Sort Subfolders A to Z". Done. Is that so hard? Surely this must be an oft-requested feature.

I feel that Apple is so focused on ease of use, they too frequently simplify to the point that they seriously *compromise* ease of use for folks who are serious users. You're fine if you have a dozen Safari bookmarks. More? Not so much. The standout example is trying to move an email message on an iDevice to a folder. Thanks to Apple's intransigent refusal to implement hierarchical foldering in iOS, you'll spend some time swiping to get to that folder that's near the bottom of the stack. Ugh.

Ironic, yes. Certainly ludicrous.

Mar 17, 2015 1:59 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks Carolyn, but it does not address the problem I am having with alphabetizing folders. (I have iMac/Yosemite).

I can drag a folder into another folder, but more often than not it will not let me drag and drop a folder in-between folders, which really defeats the purpose of having a folder. Sometimes I get lucky and the line indicator will highlight in-between folders, but not usually. And then I'm stuck "holding" a folder that if I let go, will end up inside another folder. In such a case it would be nice if I could at least scroll it down to the end so that it won't be in order, but at least the folder will stand on its own, but holding the folder at the bottom of the page, which ostensibly should make the page scroll down, does not work. I don't know if its all versions or just Yosemite. I've had a lot of problems since updating to Yosemite several months ago.

Mar 28, 2015 5:03 PM in response to cahleta

I just did this, it works fine, but you need to install Firefox Browser.

This is a bit wordy, I realize, but it's a first pass. It should point folks in the right direction

Export Bookmarks from Safari to a folder

FILE menu

Export Bookmarks

Name the file SafariBookmarks.html

———————————————————

Save all bookmarks from Firefox

HISTORY menu

Show All History

Click the Pentagon (dropdown list)

Export Bookmarks to HTML

Name the file Firefox(type in date).html

——————————————

If the bookmarks are not showing in Firefox, use Command-B to toggle Bookmarks

Delete all bookmarks from Firefox using the DEL key on each (it’s fast)

————————————————

Now Import Safari bookmarks into Firefox

HISTORY menu

Show All History

Click the Pentagon (dropdown list)

Import Bookmarks to HTML

Now Sort by name

Right Mouse Click on a Group (like Unsorted Bookmarks)

Select “Sort by Name”

Do this for any other groups you want to sort by name

Now use the same HISTORY menu, Show All History, Click the Pentagon

and Export the Bookmarks to HTML, naming it SAFARI-SORTED.HTML

——————————————————————

Back to Safari:

File, Import bookmarks from file (HTML File) back into safari.

File/Import From/File

Select the SafariSortedBookmarks.html

Imported Bookmarks in Safari are brought into a Bookmarks Folder

with Today’s Date, at the end of the bookmarks list.

If you like the listing, just delete everything else

———————————————————

Back to Firefox

History menu

Show all History

Select the “Pentagon” Icon (on the right side)

Restore

Select the date of Bookmarks you want to restore.

If you use VIEW then SHOW FAVORITES

you can drag the new sorted and imported collection of Bookmarks

to the Favorites bar. It becomes a dropdown item with all your sorted bookmarks

I hope this helps. It's a bit of a kluge workaround, but it works.

Jeff T.

Laguna Niguel, CA

Mar 28, 2015 6:51 PM in response to DrJeff_92677

Why not just keep your bookmarks in Firefox? You also can import them to Google Chrome where you can easily organize them at the press of a button. If you import your bookmarks back to Apple, then you will have to manually alphabetize each time you add a new bookmark (as opposed to hitting the sort button). If Apple sees we're heading for the hills on Safari because it's got substandard features, they will be much more likely to fix it and maybe even pay more attention going forward. Apple is looking pretty shoddy here - I am surprised at this given their otherwise good reputation. I guess every company has a few big black marks that drag its reputation down.

Is there a way to sort bookmarks in safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.