Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I copy my time machine back up from a smaller Hard disk to a larger hard disk; so that I can then continue to back up, through Time machine, on the larger hard disk?

I am using time machine for backing up on an external hard disk. This has now become full and every back up results in the deletion of the first back up on the hard drive.

I have bought a larger hard drive now and am trying to copy the back up from the smaller hard drive to the new larger hard drive, using Finder. This is not happening and the message I am getting is

"The volume has the wrong case sensitivity for a back up"

Posted on Nov 14, 2014 2:52 AM

1 reply

Nov 16, 2014 7:50 AM in response to UmeshNB

Hello UmeshNB,

Thanks for the question. Based on what you stated, it seems like you are not able to move a backup to another drive. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help you isolate or resolve the issue.

Time Machine: How to transfer backups from the current backup drive to a new backup drive - Apple Support

If it is not formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), reformat the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a GUID partition. If you do not know how, see the steps in this article.

If the drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended but without journaling, OS X may state that "the volume has the wrong case sensitivity" to be used as a back up disk.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Mario

How do I copy my time machine back up from a smaller Hard disk to a larger hard disk; so that I can then continue to back up, through Time machine, on the larger hard disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.