Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transfer of photos between iPhoto

Whats the best way to transfer photos between my 2006 Mac Pro iPhoto and my new iMac

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2006 Mac Pro

Posted on Nov 14, 2014 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2014 8:52 AM

The following quote is from OS X: Manually migrating data from another Mac - Apple Support

Place your iPhoto library into the Photos folder on your new Mac. iPhoto should automatically recognize it when you open it. If not, you may need to upgrade your library first.

The following may also be of interest if you want to migrate everything: Move your data to a new Mac - Apple Support

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2014 8:52 AM in response to melsox

The following quote is from OS X: Manually migrating data from another Mac - Apple Support

Place your iPhoto library into the Photos folder on your new Mac. iPhoto should automatically recognize it when you open it. If not, you may need to upgrade your library first.

The following may also be of interest if you want to migrate everything: Move your data to a new Mac - Apple Support

Nov 14, 2014 10:30 AM in response to FoxFifth

Ok, thank you, but how about if I have started a photo library on the new iMac, and want to keep those, but add in the old ones. Is this still a good option for that? I would have done a migration, but I only wanted my iPhoto, iTunes, and iMovie files, not everything, and I jumped in and started using the new computer before I figured out what I should do on the migration of data.

Nov 14, 2014 10:42 AM in response to melsox

If you just have a few photos in the new library with no edits or any other work done, you could use the iPhoto File menu export command to export from the old library and then use the import command to bring them in to the new one. The following previous discussion has other alternatives if you have more work invested and may help: Combining iPhoto Libraries

Nov 30, 2014 6:55 PM in response to FoxFifth

Hi, I wanted to update what I originally asked and include more info. I have a 2006 Mac Pro with OS X 10.6.8. In my iPhoto 11 version 9.2.3 (629.52). On this machine, I have 20,482 photos, which take up about 106 GB. I bought a new iMac with OS X Yosemite version 10.10.1, and iPhoto version 9.6 (910.29). Unfortunately, I only wanted to transfer my photos, music, and iMovies, to the new machine, so I did not do a migration assistant and copy everything. Then I waited too long and had to start using the new machine, so I am left with a lot of new photos in my iPhoto on the new machine, but I want to bring over all the old ones without messing up the new ones? Is there any way to copy the 20,000 photos, and bring them to the new machine and have them all still in the same events with all their titles, etc., and not mess up any of the new photos and events I already have going on the new machine. I do have a mac passport external hard drive with enough space on it to fit them all, if that helps. Sorry, should have said all this the first time, but I am new to this forum. What do you think?

Nov 30, 2014 7:24 PM in response to melsox

exactly as given above

1 - rename the iPhoto library on your new machine - maybe iPhoto Library new

2 - move your old iPhoto library to the new machine - connect the systems together (or use an external hard drive that is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) ) and drag the iPhoto library from the old system to the pictures folder of the new system

3 - Launch iPhoto on the new system to convert the library - this will give you exactly what you had on the old system

4 - to switch between the two libraries use the switch library command in iPhoto - if you wan to combine the libraries use the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager to merge them

LN

Dec 8, 2014 8:45 AM in response to melsox

Not without details

if you get errors we need to know the exact errors - we need to know exactly wha you have (version Iphto and the OS) on each system - exactly how you did the transfer and exactly what is happening - the directions given work perfectly for thousands of people - if they do not wrk for y we need details

LN

Dec 9, 2014 6:29 AM in response to melsox

Larry,

I spoke too soon, the 20,000 photos are listed there, all the events are there, with the proper labels, but in about 12,000, the photo is missing and I get a yield sign with the ! in the middle. The problem I assume exists with the original computer and iPhoto, but do you have any advice on how to fix this and me get back all 20,000 photos? My info on the 2 computers is: I have a 2006 Mac Pro with OS X 10.6.8., and my iPhoto 11 version 9.2.3 (629.52) has 20,482 photos, which take up about 106 GB. I bought a new iMac with OS X Yosemite version 10.10.1, and iPhoto version 9.6 (910.29), this is where the transfer is going.

Thanks Again,

Mike

transfer of photos between iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.