Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina hijacking Apple TV Airplay relentlessly...

All of a sudden, my MacBook Pro Retina 15" is relentlessly hijacking my Apple TV airplay function. If the computer is on and open, EVEN IF THE APPLE TV IS POWERED OFF, the computer forces the Apple TV on and pushes the sound through it. Nothing else can stop it from doing this except completely unplugging the Apple TV. It seems possessed. I have already downloaded iTunes again from Apple and am running the most current version. I have also restored Apple TV and downloaded the most current version. This seems to be a MBPro Retina issue as my MacBook Air is not having this issue and is behaving normally. Haven't seen any other forums out there for this kind of thing. Anyone have any ideas?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 14, 2014 7:47 AM

9 replies

Nov 16, 2014 9:39 AM in response to garnettr

Hey there garnettr,

From what you describe it seems to me that you need to turn off Airplay on the MacBook air since it keeps automatically connecting to your Apple TV. Check out this info:

About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X - Apple Support

Turning AirPlay Mirroring on and off

If your Mac supports using your Apple TV as a display, an AirPlay menu appears in the menu bar when an Apple TV is on the same network. The AirPlay Mirroring menu icon turns blue when AirPlay Mirroring is on (User uploaded file).

User uploaded file

You can also turn Airplay on in System Preferences > Displays:

• In Mavericks select AirPlay Display.
    User uploaded file
  • In Mountain Lion select AirPlay mirroring.
    User uploaded file

Note: If you don't see AirPlay Display or AirPlay Mirroring options in the Displays pane of System Preferences, then your Mac model does not support this feature.
To turn off AirPlay, select "Turn Off AirPlay" in the AirPlay menu or from the Displays pane of System Preferences. You can also press the Menu button on the Apple TV remote to end the current AirPlay session.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

Nov 16, 2014 12:02 PM in response to sterling r

Thank You for your help but none of the options you gave work. Every time I attempt to turn Airplay off, it just doesn't allow it. It flips back to the Apple TV relentlessly. No matter how many times I click "Disconnect AirPlay Display" or "Turn Mirroring Off", it just defaults back to the Apple TV. We can't hear anything out of the computer speakers because it is constantly pushing our audio into Apple TV. Any more suggestions? Is this some kind of virus?

Dec 21, 2015 9:14 AM in response to djones9898

Same worked for me @djones9898. One thing that may help others is that I had my headphones plugged in while using Airplay. As it seems the audio settings shift when using headphones/no-headphones, I think this confused the system. So, with my headphones plugged in, I went to System Preferences > Sound > Output and chose Built-in Speakers and voila!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro Retina hijacking Apple TV Airplay relentlessly...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.