Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy/Paste shows up as VCF in Yosemite Mail

I am running on a MacBook Pro Retina (Mid-2012) 15" with 2.6Ghz Core i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB disk. I am running Yosemite 10.10 with all the public patches. I am also using GPGMail if that matters.

The problem I am having is that when copying and pasting into using Yosemite Mail messages from other applications, sometimes the text shows up as as a PastedContact.vcf instead of inline text as I expect. I have identified at least one app that does it consistently, the P4Merge application from Perforce, although I have come across others. I have confirmed this did not happen with the Mavericks Mail.

The only workaround I have discovered so far is to paste into another app that does not have this behavior, e.g. TextEdit, and then copy and paste it from there. But then I lose any formatting on the text usually.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 2.6Ghz Core i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB HD

Posted on Nov 14, 2014 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2014 8:55 AM

Same problem here, but only when pasting from Microsoft Remote Desktop.

A workaround I found is to paste using the right mouse button popup menu, rather than keyboard shortcut. Not very convenient, but not as bad as going through another app.

8 replies

Mar 5, 2015 9:48 AM in response to joesteele

As you all have figured out or dont want to admit, this is not OSX behavior: it's the applications that are inconsistent, maybe on purpose (what they "by design") or by ignorance of the designers, they just dont care or there is no defined standard set by Apple.

I also do you all pretty much do: copy to a plain text editor and do a second copy/paste.

Copy/Paste shows up as VCF in Yosemite Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.