Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Find My iPhone Work With The Original 2G iPhone?

My Original 2G iPhone used to work with Find iPhone under iOS 3. Then it became part of MobileMe, and worked until iCloud replaced it. Since iCloud is not supported under iOS 3, is there another way to track the original 2G iPhone?

Obviously the phone supports the ability to be tracked, Apple just no longer seems to support it. If not, is there a third party app anyone can recommend that works with iOS 3 that will allow it to be tracked?

Posted on Nov 14, 2014 11:28 AM

5 replies

Nov 14, 2014 11:56 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Sorry, but I used it, and tracked it, before I finally upgraded to the iPhone 4 (I never had a 3). I may be wrong about the App working (though it is on my original iPhone), but I know for a fact I could log into Mobile Me and use Find My iPhone to locate my original 2G phone.

Either way, since that does not seem to be an option under iCloud, is there an App that will enable this ability on the original iPhone?

Nov 14, 2014 12:11 PM in response to Woodwyn

I don't know how you managed that. I, too, have an iPhone 2G, and some time ago I remember enabling Find my iPhone but it was never listed when I tried to find it. Did a live chat with Apple and they said Find my iPhone required an iPhone 3G or later. Now, of course, it requires a device capable of running iOS 5 so it can use iCloud.

As for alternatives, try using the below utility, entering "tracking" or something similar as the search term. There aren't many apps still compatible with iOS 3.1.3, but this should help you find them: Find iOS Apps Compatible with Older Devices.

(Note that I am affiliated with that site, and some pages contain ads).

Nov 14, 2014 12:54 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Don't take my word for it. Can't speak for Apple. You had me scratching my head so I looked it up:

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/10/21/find-my-iphone-questions-answers-and-suggestions/

In fact on several iOS 3 compatibility pages from the time, none of them mention that Find My iPhone was incompatible with the original iPhone where they both mention specific incompatibilities, and Find My iPhone as a feature.

Thanks for the link. I guess I'll have to do some digging.

Does Find My iPhone Work With The Original 2G iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.